Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

No devotions, no day

7:08 p.m. Saturday June 1st. Today's project was to enjoy excellent fellowship with my sisters in Christ here at our church's women's retreat.

After a tumultuous Friday in my Mary Kay business, fraught with fun, challenges, and up-and-down action, our team closed out the month well. The Lord has graced me with an outstanding  team of women, almost all of them believers!

I was invited to lunch by my daughter Heidi, so we could spend time with a close friend of hers who brought her unsaved mother to the retreat. That was thoughtful on Heidi's part, because the mom didn't know anyone there.  I believe that's one reason we attend retreats: to reach out to others, whether to witness to the unsaved, or comfort a sister in need. II Corinthians 1:4:

...God, who comforts us in all our tribulation, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we are comforted by God. 

At retreats, we also have the opportunity to encourage and exhort other Christians to spend more time in God's presence, through reading His word and prayer.The theme for this year's retreat is "It is Well with My Soul," after after the famous hymn. This incredible statement of trust in God was written by Horatio Spafford in the midst of  the devastating tragedy of having lost his four daughters in an 1873 shipwreck. Yet, he had peace in his soul, because he trusted in the Living God, the One who tells us in Hebrews 13:5,

I will never leave you nor forsake you.

Of the workshop choices offered at the retreat, I selected the one on having a devotional life. The importance of this spiritual discipline was underscored for me by a mom I sat next to at dinner. She explained that she chose the same workshop despite there being one specifically for moms.She ended up taking the devotional class because, she said, "If I first get into the Bible and prayer early in my day, I'll be ready to listen the rest of my day as God tells me how to raise my child!" 

Wow!

As Christians, we enjoy hearing God's word corporately at church and at Bible studies. But nothing compares to the personal, intimate time I spend alone with God seven days a week. In fact, there IS NO day without devotional time! I need my marching orders from the Captain of my soul.

From decades of daily quiet time, here is some of the fruit that has been produced:
  • Jesus' love applied to the marriage relationship
  • Children became born again Christians
  • Wisdom in the many complex issues of child rearing
  • Children serving in ministry as teens and adults
  • Application of the Holy Spirit's gift of teaching the Bible and ministering to women
  • Creation of "A Woman's Walk in the Word" Bible study lessons
  • Leading the Prayer Tower in the early years of the Harvest Crusades
  • Guidance in running for and winning elective office for 13 years
  • "Willing Hearts, Willing Hands;" "Moms' Mornings;" and "Heart to Home" ministries
  • Joining two short term evangelistic missions to Wales
  • Galatians: An Exploration of Faith & Freedom, published in 2011
  • A Spirit-led Mary Kay business that serves as an outreach ministry to women in need
  • The grace and guidance of God in caring for my late husband and walking in joy that can only come from God as a widow
And since God has never failed to meet me in the mornings--and throughout my days--I cannot even imagine what He has in store next, should He tarry in taking His Church home in the Rapture!

Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.

Your challenge? Get up earlier tomorrow and meet with Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment