Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

The smell of wet dog

3:20 p.m. Today's project was to refresh myself in the Lord after an incredibly blessed week of fellowship with believing friends, family, customers and team members. Saturday afternoon included an uproarious one- year-old's birthday party; Saturday night night ended with our scripture-based Ladies' Fellowship. Sunday included an out-of town niece's bridal shower after church,  and brief visit to daughter Heidi's in-laws on the way home.As my Mary Kay customers become friends and friends become customers, I am enjoying a giant God-ordained circle of joy, fun, encouragement, support and love! What God says to the widow in Isaiah 54:4-5 is so true, "For your Maker is your husband."

Monday went along as a Monday should, exercising after devotions and breakfast, and expecting our plumber to stop by. I made arrangements for business appointments and went out on errands. My daughter-in-law and I made plans to design a large appointment calendar for her to help me not forget any more customers  like I did last week! (I made a doctor's appointment for next month on this issue)! On my last post, I was praying for a companion to ride with me to a wedding about 100 miles away, and God answered beautifully. Brenda came by for her facial and foundation match on Wednesday, but I spaced it completely, and wasn't here, to my mortification, despite the time being boldly starred in my datebook! But by Friday, she and I had made driving arrangements, and she even came over early to enjoy her facial and makeover. Thus, Brenda looked extra gorgeous for the wedding!! God even works through our foibles and forgetfulness. Isaiah 49:15-16 says,

Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb?Surely they may forget, but I will not forget. I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands...

No one loves like Jesus does, absolutely no one!

After lunch, my daughter-in-law Marisela and I made a plan for her to wash and groom the dogs---which she does in a very professional way--while I kept an eye on Clark, our hilariously active one-year-old grandson.
 From his wading pool to the lawn, from Gramma's lap to the patio, Clark made the most of the afternoon's canine entertainment. I would stand with him on my arthritic  hip, loving every moment, of course, but regularly looked for "reasons" to sit in the swivel rocking patio chair in  the shade.

King Charles Cocker Spaniel Penny looked elegant, while Yellow Labrador Retriever Jada looked smooth and serviceable. Clark and I kept switching towels and toys as we tossed them to Jada, who loves to play Fetch. It was so much pure joy to play with Clark and Jada, teasing her and gloating together when we faked "our" throws and she would run the wrong direction! The bright sun and warm breeze made it a pleasant interlude for all of us, dogs included. I even received an excellent text message from a team member about ordering as I relaxed. Thank you, Lord, for a business where I can carve precious family time out of my day!

Wet and worn out, we trooped into the house to clean up and put the towels in the laundry. I handed the baby over to his mom, and went to wash my hands. WHOA! The smell of wet dog was overwhelming, considering I hadn't taken part in the bathing. I guess it got passed from Jada's toy to Clark to Jada, and back to me enough times to leave a distinct impression. Carrying the dogs' drying towels probably didn't help! No doubt about it, the evidence was in: I'd been with dogs.

The fragrances we want to be remembered for, and to remember about others, are the complete opposite of the ones our beloved pets or large domestic animals leave behind. We apply sweet. floral, spicy, citrus-y, pungent, fruity or musky scents to ourselves and our homes  "according to the art of the perfumer," as Exodus 30:35 describes the anointing oil for the Tabernacle. We want to please others around us, not scare them off!

I had discussion with a young lady the other day about the way people are turned off when Christians perform blatantly vicious public acts while quoting scripture. No matter how often or loudly our nationally known, Spirit-filled leaders of the Church denounce that behavior, negative visual and vocal images stick in people's minds. Those acts reek of the pig pen!

As believers, we want to give off a loving, honest, trustworthy and sacrificial fragrance! We want to leave a positive impression behind. Even when we agree to disagree with an unbeliever, we want to do it in love. The  Apostle Paul puts it this way in 2 Corinthians 2:14-15:

Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

Among believers, we give off and give out Christ's fragrance as we encourage, cheer and comfort one another. With the unsaved, our fragrance is used for the purpose of attracting the lost to Christ.

I want to exude both kinds of fragrance during my days here on earth, don't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment