Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A logical progression

7:54 p.m. Today's project was to put as few miles as possible on my Jeep, so as to keep the radiator's leaking to a minimum. After my very physically active morning of aerobics, yard cleanup (including sharp pieces of wood chewed up by our puppy Jazzlyn and strewn all over the yard) and watering the lawn, I had an hour to myself for devotions, Bible reading and prayer. I've taken to leaving the dogs in their crates sleeping until almost 8 o'clock--rewarding myself with a peaceful time from 5:45 until then. For many years I enjoyed morning quiet time after Steve left for his commute and before my children woke up.  David wrote in Psalm 63:1-2:

O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water.

Lord, thank You for the flowing water of Your Holy Spirit when I meet with You!

But that peace and quiet is too soon over! Indeed, Jada and Jazzlyn have been a noisy handful lately.  Thus I'm very grateful that my daughter Heidi and her husband Pavel came over early yesterday evening so he could mend yet another escape spot in the wooden fence. Heidi and I, meanwhile, went to visit her dad. Happily, Steve was in his usual pleasant mood, and enjoyed sitting with us on the porch swing out in the garden area. The three of us reviewed a photo album from the time period of Heidi's teen and college years, that showed lots of his side of the family, including his late mother, brother, uncle and aunt. He acknowledged their familiarity, but showed no hint of sadness or of missing them. I imagine he thinks they are all still alive. Heidi like Raincross, but mentioned how far her dad has gone downhill in the last month. It's not due to where he is, however--he's losing the ability to visually track pictures, television, writing, or even a spoon moving toward his mouth while being fed. His mental deterioration was shocking while he was home, too--that's why the Lord told me to find him an appropriate place for him to live!

As I looked at today's calendar, I remembered a meeting at the Riverside Medical Clinic concerning the need to pick another Medicare provider for Steve. As I looked over the list, I realized that there was no real need for me to attend, so I called and requested that the information packet the attendees received be mailed to me. One less trip out with the car and its leaking radiator--which by the time of my call to Riverside Medical Clinic, I had already refilled to a safe level with half a gallon of 50/50 mix Peak anti-freeze-coolant! The Lord has been so good to me in this trial. My mechanic has ordered a warrantied radiator for only $173; the coolant was just $6.00 a gallon on sale, which was ending yesterday after I bought it; and lo and behold, out rent check from Wyoming was already in the bank when I checked the balance! I don't have to delay getting the radiator replaced once it arrives at the shop. 

My one non-negotiable outing for the day was to visit Steve. I helped feed him the last of his lunch and we spent time walking and talking. Then I needed 3 more stops, so I planned them for the same areas of town. Home Tour business, Heart to Home ministry arrangements, grocery shopping at Vons, and a Mary Kay errand all  got covered in as few miles as possible, even though Riverside is pretty large in area. Banking and a stop at Sprouts organic market for their awesome coffee creamer wrapped up my junket in a logical progression.  

And thanks be to Jesus who provided cool weather, helping the Jeep not to overheat.  God is good, all of the time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment