Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Refreshing grace

8:42 p.m. Today's project was to prepare my home for Muffins & Makeovers guests in the morning; and a working visit from my daughter and her husband in the afternoon.

Sleeping in until 6 a.m. felt great, if risky, because I advertise my readiness for Saturday makeovers to start at  9! For most people, 3 hours would be plenty of time to accomplish the morning routine, and have your home guest-ready, but my devotional and Bible study time is extensive. I wouldn't trade my intimate quiet time with Jesus for anything! It's  invigorating, comforting and convicting all at the same time-- advantageous in this life for the wisdom the Holy Spirit freely gives. Studying God's word prepares a  believer for service and against sin.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, II Timothy 2:15 says, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Since I woke up without joint pain, I decided to give the aerobics a rest today--why push it for the 6th day? My blood would be circulating plenty, because I'd be adding vacuuming and mopping for company to the daily backyard cleanup, dog management and lawn watering.  As I Timothy 4:8 says, and I'm purposely stretching the point, apologies to our family's bodybuilder and fitness trainer Steven,

For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.

I organized the downstairs, had it looking very pretty, was very made up and nicely dressed, but nobody came as the hour time slots ticked away. Not to worry, since I had a party at 3:30 to pack my tote bag for.

 
 
The quiet morning, interrrupted only by the dogs' barking in frustration on their leads, gave me time to process the failures of the day before, in light of the learning and blessing God has prepared for me regardless! As much as I know that the scatteredness that caused me to have to postpone two obligations at the last minute, affecting the day's income for two craftsmen and harming myself in the process, has been forgiven, I needed to apologize and reschedule. Yet the Lord was gracious, helping me when another obligation that came to my attention, and then sending me a generous check in the mail.  Romans 5:20 says,
 
...where sin abounded, grace abounded much more...
 
The Apostle Paul is very clear that grace is not a license to sin! He says in Chapter 6:4b,
 
that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we should also walk in newness of life.
 
In the early afternoon, my daughter Heidi and her husband Pavel came over to visit the dogs, patch the back fence--the building of a new one having been postponed, see above--and he ended up repairing a sprinkler Jazzlyn had wrecked, as well as walking the dogs. Heidi and I sat and talked, caught up on her school teaching issues, the upcoming election, and the gorgeous new china set I won from Mary Kay. We also shared concerns for Steve, her siblings' response to his condition, her grandpa's window repair, and Thanksgiving plans. I was refreshed, just as I was when daughter Heather and son-in-law Nick came over yesterday to let me back into the house with her key. The wind had blown the front door shut on me, so there I was,  pacing out on the front patio until the two of them arrived. 
 
Today, I was amazed and even more humbled: not one word of irritation was expressed; there was just a willingness to help me out over here.
 
That's refreshing grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment