Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

I think I'd rather stay

8:16 a.m. Today's project is to visit with Steve this morning, and pray over him, as he slips away from us. Magnolia Rehab is doing a very fine job helping his body to fight pneumonia, and keeping him nourished through an IV drip. But despite the busyness of Christmas, with plans to see all of our children, their spouses, and our youngest  grandson, the end of 2012 comes to this: my husband is dying. Steve doesn't have the ability or awareness to say goodbye, as a person dying in their right mind would be doing.

Yesterday I decided to forego a family gathering out of town, because I need to stay here in town in case there's an urgent situation with Steve. It felt a little lonely at first, but God had a marvelous day planned for me!  I Corinthians 3:3 says,

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation...

After church, I received a text from Kathleen, my daughter Heather's mother-in-law, asking if she and Nick's dad could stop by. We had a lovely visit, and I'm already using the fresh potted herbs they brought me.  After spending some time in Christmas preparations here at home, and visiting with our youngest son,  I went to see Steve, and after a few minutes, in walked a friend, Chaplain Dave Sparks! He anointed Steve with oil, prayed over him and read him scriptures of comfort. Steve did open his eyes and acknowledge Dave's presence and voice. I know Steve's spirit is being fed by the Word, through the power of the Holy Spirit!

Later in the evening, son Steven and I welcomed Kathy, his girlfriend, and her family, the Barretos, here before they headed up home to Bakersfield. We enjoyed coffee, conversation, and concern for Steve.

This morning, my son Kriss texted me to share an old MXPX song that brought him to tears, on account of his dad, that he'd posted to his Facebook page. The singer sounds so much like Kriss did with his old band First Time Falling. The line that struck me was "I think I'd rather stay," which probably most of us would say on our deathbed, even if we know the Lord and are ready to enter eternal life in His presence. We don't want to leave our loved ones, although what Christ has for us is far better.

If you want to hear the song, it's on Youtube, called "Begin to Start," the 5th track on the 1998 MXPX album "Let it Happen."

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. This is my first post. I've been following your blog for some time now with great interest as my mom is fighting the same illness your husband has. I have enjoyed reading your posts. It's reassuring to know you're not alone when it comes to this challenging journey. I wish you and Steve a peaceful and loving Christmas.

    ReplyDelete