Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Awkward times in leadership

4:18 p.m. Today's project was to seek authoritative counsel on a sticky ministry subject. While the correctness of the stance I had taken was confirmed, it had become awkward to implement. I
faced some mild-mannered opposition, but opposition all the same. The Lord was gracious to direct me, and thankfully, I'd been praying about the situation, even jouranlling my concerns, for the last two years.When it came time to lead and speak with boldness, it was the Holy Spirit who strengthened me! In 2 Timothy 4:17, the Apostle Paul speaks of opposition within and without the ranks of believers during his imprisonment, and testifies thus:

But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me

This strengthening from the Lord is available to all believers, not just those in leadership. But leaders have to be so much more cautious about the words and actions we select, because we do not want to misrespresent our Lord Jesus Christ in even the smallest detail of ministry. We check and examine ourselves, first as Christians, and then as to the way we lead, that we may be diligent and loving, caring for all who come under our influence. I Peter 5:1-5 says,

The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.

That's certainly a tall order! But James offers a very severe warning to teachers in Chapter 3:1:

My brethren, let not many of us become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

Lord, may all who lead and teach Your people remain humble, thankful that You have seen fit to place us in ministry, teachable ourselves! Let us trust You for guidance in everything, that we might never lead "one of these little ones" astray! In Jesus' name, Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment