Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Family growth is God's doing



9:32 p.m. Today's project was to enjoy a fun "Spanish-only" day here at home with my son Kriss and his wife Marisela. They like to do this every Sunday when they're talking in front of their one-year-old Clark, my grandson, so he will be bilingual in the very English-speaking setting here in our house. I had an easier time of it than Kriss, who never learned Spanish in school--he chose to learn French, due to the influence of his best friend Emmanuel down the street, whose family are French. He actually traveled with them to France a number of years ago. I on the other hand, studied, speak, read and write Spanish, beginning in the 5th grade and then continuing on to a minor degree in that language, with my actual degree in English literature. 

I would have been more rusty today except for the fact that I spent several months tutoring an AP Spanish student from India, and had to regularly speak the language in a big hurry! God uses all kinds of experiences, I find, to prepare us for His "next assignment." I'll take an assignment of speaking Spanish to and playing with my little "nieto" Clark any day! Jesus Himself especially loves children, shown in Mark 10:14-16,

"Let the little children come to me and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." And He took them up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.

Yesterday,the Kruckenberg and Love families had a wonderful opportunity to bless our children Nick and Heather Love, and prepare to welcome their son Desmond, due to arrive in late May. Nick and Heather's siblings, parents, aunts, one uncle, nephews and friends created a wonderful setting, served carne asada grilled to perfection by my oldest son Sean, with delightful drinks and desserts for the occasion. Games were hilarious, and the large pile of gifts didn't even include items too large to bring, like the crib I purchased for Desmond. My nephew Chance's gift arrived UPS just before the party broke up--talk about timing!

The Lord was so good, allowing me to finish off the last banking portion of living trust arrangements, and I even got to listen to the daily encouraging Mary Kay telephone conference call ("The Million $ Message") before the shower, where I just relaxed and focused on family. My sister Dona, pictured below, was a real joy to have join us. I appreciated her driving all the way up from San Diego. We made plans for me to stay with her family for my niece Destiny's wedding in August. A little business managed to sneak in before lunch, when an aunt of Nick's made an appointment for a facial on Monday afternoon!











My late husband Steve's sisters and sisters-in-law added to the warmth and fun, but seem to be a little camera shy. I'll capture their precious images at my niece Kindra's wedding this summer!

This evening, I attended another family event, our last Home Fellowship Bible discussion for the year and as always, our meeting was wonderful. The Book of Acts came alive as the Holy Spirit led us into personal interaction with the scripture.After closing the year with Chapter Eight, we offered concepts and inspirations that meant the most to us through the season. One mentioned, "going for it," in sharing the gospel;one mentioned having the power to push through after being "broken" by God into the humility that leads to usefulness for Him; our leader Mark reminded us that each one of us, not just some, have been given gifts of the Spirit and we are to use them to edify one another; I mentioned that we have a lowered expectation of the power and activity of the Holy Spirit in the Church today, and after studying these chapters, I've grown in my absolute expectation that God WILL act, Will show Himself real in behalf of His children, and WILL perform even more signs and wonders than He did for the early Church. We just need to live in expectation, belief and obedience!

Above all, we noted as a group the simplicity of the statement we need to make in order to be saved, Acts 8:37b, the Ethiopian eunuch speaking:

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment