Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

W hen in doubt...

3:55 p.m. Today's project is to practice thankfulness for the Holy Spirit's "early warning system." (and so many other multitudes of blessings from God). I've been mentally processing an incident from yesterday morning from the time it happened until now. I awoke Saturday with the strong impression that I needed to find out exactly the kind of help a loved one needed, and take care of it. "But isn't that enabling? Shouldn't they learn to stand up on their own two feet and work this out? Turn to God for themselves without any
human interference?" These were my reasonable objections, not born of stinginess, because I was well able and willing to assist; it was more a matter of it being the appropriate time to practice "tough love," allowing the natural consequences to fall. Readers of the Bible are certainly aware of the "wisdom" scriptures, such as Proverbs 8:33 ( KJV):

  Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.

Yet, we as sinful residents of a fallen world, often do refuse instruction, don't we? That aspect of my loved one's situation did give me pause. But I continued to have the impression to find out the entire extent of the need first, and then act, even if it felt like a wrong step.

When in doubt, I thought, do the right thing. Have mercy on another, as God has given me mercy and forgiveness so many, many times! Jesus didn't refuse to help or heal people. He dealt with the sin question first, as with the man lowered through the roof in Mark 2:5, but He showed pity and met their needs anyway. And if the Judge of all the earth, who knows every single aspect of each human's background, thought process and situation, can lovingly heal and help, so could I.

So, although nervous, I helped out this family.

When I sat down to read my scriptures for the day, I  "happened" to be in Luke Chapter 6. Hear Jesus speak in Luke 6:30-31:

"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I started sobbing with relief and peace! Then, I began my journalling, using the Word for Today journal by Pastor Chuck Smith, which contains a scripture at the top, and a good word from Chuck at the bottom of each page. The verse was Obadiah 1:12, where the prophet rebukes Edom for relishing Israel's punishment:

But you should not have gazed upon your brother in the day of his captivity. Nor should you have spoken proudly in the day of distress.

The picture was becoming more clear! Then came Pastor Chuck's wise and loving words:

"It is a terrible thing to fail to help when someone is being oppressed. It is even worse to look on in pride and derision; and worse still to profit from their demise."

I wept now with sheer joy, that God would speak to me, direct me to act despite my initial unwillingness, and then reward me with such strong confirmation!

I love You, Lord Jesus!!

1 comment:

  1. It is indeed a privilege to be there for others. You know, though, sometimes we have to ask for help ourselves and strangely that can bless someone else too.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete