Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

C'mon over!


4:48 p.m. Today's project was to welcome our youngest son Steven home from Fresno and enjoy his refreshing and funny stories from college, work, the Oasis high school ministry he helps lead, the Fresno Christian High track team he is coaching. Lest I forget, he and his friend are already in the process of setting up their gym for P.E. for mentally retarded adults and then private clients in the afternoon and evenings!

I keep asking, "Are you still going to school?" How can one person do so much, along with his bodybuilding workouts and shopping for special food and supplements? I can only think that it's the Lord giving him the strength and energy to carry on, with a big grin to boot! I was glad to hear that Steven had quit as a Bally's trainer to focus on his own gym; now he can attend the evening college Bible study at the People's Church.
No sense asking, "how is he doing all this?" when I know the answer--he comes by it honestly from his mom! Actually, "it is God who works in you both to will and to do His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13). I remember friends asking me how I could teach one women's Bible study at church and one at home, while raising our children and making Steve's and my home a loving, godly one. We had devotions every night when the kids were growing up (called "Song Time.") On Friday nights we went to a home Bible study together; later on, I was a discussion leader at church and began writing a Bible study series for my women's home Bible study, now being prepared for publication 20 years later, A Woman's Walk in the Word. Later years, the '90's, saw me in local elected office while returning to my teaching career.
Not one effort I have participated in as a believer was of my own devising; the Lord called and directed me at every turn! He is the one who brought Steve and me together; made provision for my health, energy levels and motivation; called me to Bible teaching ministry as a newly minted believer; I couldn't have imagined that role! I was just obsessed with learning God's Word and studied with every spare block of time. "Her sins which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little," Jesus said in Luke 7:47, comparing the fervent worshiper Mary Magdalene with the cold Pharisee. I was a blatant sinner--therefore I woke up every day after being saved with fresh excitement that it was really true--I was saved, and could know God for myself!! There was no time to waste--I wanted to know God with every bit of my being, and today I feel the same way!!
The life of a Christian is the most exciting, adventurous, surprising life a person could ever lead, no matter what your circumstances!! As new believers, my son Sean and I lived on $2 a day---what difference did that make, as long as I could get to work and church several times a week?!! As marriage brought improved circumstances, there were still difficulties for this eventual family of seven. We made it through every trial of our faith, because God has been with us. And our reward in this life, has been to see our children accept Christ as their Savior. How we enjoy seeing them minister in His name!!
It's a joy to hear of Steven's spiritual exploits, his hunger to know the Word more extensively, and his street witnessing to unbelievers; his counseling of the high schoolers in Fresno; giving a devotional each day to his track team; all while enjoying the city God has led him to.
Mom just wishes he weren't so far away!!


No comments:

Post a Comment