Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Is it still personal?


4:07 p.m. Today's project was to go to my doctor for two small but consistent complaints (allergy to bee stings and wheat) for prescriptions to help solve the negative consequences of exposure. I don't know what I was thinking, making an appointment for 10:15 on a Monday morning, but at least I took a book, White Christmas Pie, an Amish inspirational novel, along. [I've taken an interest in "old order" sects prevalent in parts of our country since our youngest son enrolled in a Mennonite school, Fresno Pacific U.]


When I walked in, the waiting area was pretty open, so far, so good. I paid my deductible, handed out some Mary Kay concealer samples to the office gals, and took my seat. My book was very low key and enjoyable, but as time went on, the room began to fill up with obviously hurting people, some sick, some with broken limbs. I became uncomfortable, guilty, I guess, as I told Nurse Holly later, for taking up Dr. Guzman's time with my little ailments!


There was good news/bad news as I got my vitals done. I've gained four pounds the last month or so, but, and this is amazing, my blood pressure was 125/78, like the athlete I have been in recent years, when I was in my good habits of walking, running, and going to the gym, and weighed much less! Thank you, Lord!! So Dr. Dana recommends reading about the peaceful, faith-filled, simple Amish lifestyle to keep that BP low.


Considering the concerns on my heart for Steve, our family and friends, and our financial issues, I must give God the glory for that healthy reading! Psalm 96:8 says, "Give to the LORD the glory due His Name," and God Himself says in Isaiah 42:8, "I am the LORD, that is My Name; and I will not give My glory to another."


I believe that staying close to the Lord in prayer, study of the Bible and confession of sin each morning aloud or in my journal, are the "health habits" that allow me to fly above the storms of my life. Issues don't disappear, or even necessarily get better over time, or may even worsen, like Steve's condition, but closeness to Christ provides the Holy Spirit's comfort and guidance to help believers cope.


One sin I confessed this morning was informing a friend of some actually positive news that was posted by the participants all over Facebook last night, which she would have heard eventually. Would that be considered a personal matter for those people alone to tell? Since it was already hugely public? It comes down to motive, and I'm not clear on what mine was. I certainly was not first with the news!! My recipient was surprised, but not personally affected by it in more than a minor way, an inconvenience. To be on the safe side, I did confess to the Lord that my motives were not what they should have been on this matter, public or not!!


It's always best to have a clear conscience, to get the Lord's take on anything that makes you uncomfortable--that's what the Bible calls conviction, having a tender conscience, wanting to please God, and waiting upon Him to make it right!


I'll see what He tells me to say or do, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's to leave the whole matter alone!!


Meanwhile, I'll be heading off to Women's Bible Study with a garden basket containing tools and produce; a jewelry display; and candied apples to demo our next three classes for Heart to Home. Could be a late night if I end up taking sign-ups after the study.


Time to check up on my layered Mexican casserole in the oven for Steve's dinner, so we can spend a nice early evening together after this hectic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment