Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rise and shine!


2:57 p.m. Today's project was to keep my appointment with my tax preparer, lovely sister in the Lord Patty Kamio, at 1:00 p.m. As I scanned my pile of documents, I thought, "I'm as ready as I'm going to be!"


But first, a few hurdles to get over. My alarm went off at 4 a.m., giving me just enough time to do my skincare--always a must!!--get dressed, brush my teeth and head down to the sleep lab to pick up Steve. As I pulled out of my driveway onto Canyon Crest, I noticed no other cars; when I looked over at the 60 freeway, the traffic was very light. This is to be expected for such an early hour, one would think, except that there always used to be an early morning rush hour before the Inland Empire's construction industry was decimated, practically eliminated, in the last year! As I thought of so many other men without work in the the attendant businesses that support the building industry and their hurting families, I prayed sorrowfully, wondering how they are going to make it, with no prospects for a turnaround in the economy in sight. I pray that multitudes will turn to faith in Christ, and that those who have means will give generously through their fellowships' food pantries. "He who has pity on the poor lends to the Lord," Proverbs 19:17 says. Lord, give me a heart for the hurting!!

With virtually no traffic on the roads, I got to the building at 14th and Brockton in less than 15 minutes, and waited by the big glass doors, with the bright red eye of the alarm staring at me from the lobby. Okay, okay, I give up my plans to break in! Steve came out with his small suitcase, and off we went to go back to bed until after 8 o'clock. Thank you, Lord, for rest and rejuvenation!
After our morning routine, I left to transfer some money into our college son's account, some loan funds from Fresno Pacific University, a task that wouldn't normally be any cause for concern. Problem was, that it had to be cash in order to post immediately. With visions of carjacking, kidnaping or worse in my head, paranoia that some suspicious-looking customer saw cash being counted out and would stalk me, while trying to subtly look behind me to see if I was being followed--you'd think I was a Brink's driver--I made it from one financial institution to the other in one piece, mission accomplished! Don't you wish you had a dollar for every minute wasted with doomsday scenarios of crime and mayhem in our heads? (Could this be some of the crazy "self-talk" we are studying at church?) If God can tilt the axis of the earth a tiny bit due to the Chilean earthquake, He can get me from one bank to another!!
Just as the earth is delicately upheld by the word of His power (Hebrews 1:3), so He is able to balance our lives as we turn all things over to Him, and speak His Word to one another, exhorting other believers to listen to the Holy Spirit and trust God for our needs. Such was my second annual meeting with Patty to prepare our tax return. It was better to leave Steve at home mowing lawns, than have to repeat things he has trouble hearing or censor our conversation over the changes in our financial circumstances--which are many. In other words, if I needed wise practical counsel, I could feel free to speak with Patty in confidence.
This is the first year I have done our taxes alone since we were married. Added to all of the care and guidance I now provide to Steve, I have had times of feeling overwhelmed. That's why it is the latest we've ever begun the filing process. At one point, I expressed dismay and embarassment at my low Mary Kay sales, and Patty said, "You have nothing to apologize for. Look at all you have on you now!" That was so comforting--something I need from time to time.
Most times, I dwell on the good things Steve and I have together, like steady disability and pension income at a time when other unemployed adults have nothing to fall back on. We are physically healthy and active, able to travel, and have 5 healthy children and two grandkids, plus wonderful in-laws from two generations. May God be praised! He truly has done all things well, and will do so forever.

"He has made all things beautiful in His time," Ecclesiastes 3:11 says. "Also, He has put eternity in [our] hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end."
Let me be a part of Your plan, Lord, Your perfect plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment