Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Better than insured


3:30 p.m. Today's project was to have a physical exam complete with a blood draw and urine sample taken for a new life insurance policy. It seems to be an annual event these days, since I retired in 2009 and lost the life coverage available to district employees. No paycheck, no paycheck deduction! So I spent months last year applying and finally qualifying for standard rates from two different companies. My 2003 bout with breast cancer is considered cured after 7 years, praise the Lord!

On Monday, an agent for one of the companies showed us that by replacing two policies with a new one, we would save $200 a month. So this morning at 8:30 was the big scary needle stick! Since I would have to fast without even water after midnight, around 10:30 last night I asked some of my medically-inclined Facebook friends what my "last meal" should be. I didn't want to be shaky or faint or ridiculously starving. A rumbling stomach is just plain rude!
I got sound advice: fruit juice and peanut butter on toast, from three friends, one of whom is a supervising nurse. Thanking them, I had to tell them that I'd just have to go to bed with a nice glass of water because I hate peanut butter, am allergic to wheat products, and didn't have any fruit juice in the house! "I'm a little tweaked," I confessed.
Jesus said that "even the very hairs on your head are all numbered" (Luke 12:7), and so must our taste buds and other bodily organs be considered worthy of our Father's attention as well, because we are each certainly unique. Just think about God knowing every cell of each of us!! That's real love, unmatched love, unconditional love! That's real assurance for us believers.
Waking up in the middle of the night, I went over the morning's schedule over and over: should I get up really early to make sure all of my devotions and quiet time were done, and then clean up, dress and greet the phlebotomist? Or get up later, clean up and dress first, get the medical exam over with, and then have devotions? (My normal morning routine is to put on my robe, get coffee, and begin devotions immediately upon rising). I "voted" for a compromise: get up early, quickly bathe and dress, and have my devotions first.
The very pleasant lady came at 8:30, and at my request, got to the "sampling" right away so I could get my coffee before the headache and rumbling started. I turned on the coffeepot, made sure Steve was situated, and then she took my blood pressure, so no coffee just yet, I decided, in case it might cause an uptick in my numbers. And at 59, we don't want that! I'm paranoid enough being overweight and not having started my walking program yet without risking any other averse factors!
The three numbers were very good: 122/76, 116/74, and 120/74. I guess there's something to be said for going up and down stairs during the day! And as for my height and weight, I'm still almost 5'4"--no shrinkage yet--and have lost 3 pounds since Christmas! Good thing I threw the last of the fudge into the trash a few days ago! The electrocardiogram looked very regular, which was a huge relief, considering that I had first glanced at the flat line on the back of the tape! Whew! Still alive.
With the use an amazing array of portable medical testing devices and the technician's notebook computer and wireless network, my results would be sent to the insurance underwriters, signed electronically, within 15 minutes. We live in amazing times. And prayerfully in a few weeks I'll be insured enough to give the kids funds to care for their dad and our property should I pass away before Steve does.
Having life or any other kind of insurance is wise if you feel led in that direction, but it can never provide what we refer to as the "Assurance of the Believer." The blessed assurance we have is that we will one day have a home in heaven with Jesus if we have put our trust in Him for salvation.
No physical exam required!

No comments:

Post a Comment