Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Mileage points


4:08 p.m. Today's project was to hopefully sell some Mary Kay products at the hair salon, to either the operators or the other "regulars" like myself who have bought from me before. This is a regular prayer request in my journal every Friday morning, just like Steve can be counted on to move my inventory cart out to my Jeep before I leave for my standing 10:00 appointment!


Ever since my tax lady told me that I can deduct business miles back and forth to the salon since I demonstrate skincare and makeup each time, I never miss an opportunity to apply any new products on my own face, and on any beautician who is between clients. Proverbs 10:4 says, "the hand of the diligent maketh rich" (KJV). If my experience today is any example, my diligence makes my hand busy, which I guess could lead to riches!

Sue ran right up to me when she came in to do her first client, and said, "Hey! I need you! I need that really dark eyeshadow and a medium one!" So when my hair was done, I went out to the Jeep, and only had one of her selections in my mobile cart. Since I live only 7 minutes away, I went home, said hi to Steve who was keeping busy cleaning, grabbed the eye shadow, made a bank deposit, and turned around to deliver it. I went to the bank again, deposited the money, and stopped by Ralphs Canyon Crest to pick up a few items. I handed the checker an eyeshadow sample, and she excitedly said, "You do Mary Kay?!" "Yes, I do..." "You do Mary Kay?" "Yes!" She went on, "I normally use Lancome, but this lady had a black-brown pencil eyeliner on and she said it was Mary Kay. You got that?" "Oh, yes I do. Let me check in the car." I finished my order and went out to the cart, and guess what? I didn't have that shade in the car. So I told her I'd head back home (2 minutes away) and get it, Now my drive up and down hill to Ralphs became business mileage!

No dark brown eyeliner in my home inventory, drat! So I called my sales director Laurie to make a trade, got Steve's lunch made, sat down to eat my salad of chopped cooked pork, fried onions, parmesan and ranch dressing, laid hands on Heidi for her horrible cough, and headed down to my director's Wood Street house. On the way, I went over to Ralphs and gave the checker two sample-size dark brown pencils, which she was delighted to learn were free.

Laurie counseled me on finding a training meeting I can attend while Steve has someone at home with him, because on Thursday nights when our unit meets, Heidi goes to young adult Bible study at church. She knows of a director in my neighborhood who trains on Mondays, a night when Heidi has no commitments. Just might be a plan! She asked me if I have any anxiety over leaving Steve alone, and I answered that I'm more concerned lately, and will be adding Fridays to his caregiver's schedule. It's a great day to make those "on the go" sales, since many people get paid on Fridays. Tuesdays are another good night for an occasional facial or party, such as the one I am trying to work out for next week, so that Steve can still attend men's Bible study. As the Lord leads... if He opens a door, He'll make a way for me to walk through it!

My sale was completed by 3:00, and I rolled on up the hill once again, saw Steve off to walk the dogs, and perked a pot of decaf coffee to warm us both up when he returned. We hope to spend a
quiet evening together, maybe watching a Netflix movie "Rebecca," that we just received in the mail. It's been a rollercoaster week of peace and blessing, as well as shock and outbursts from the disease inflicted on Steve's brain.
Wisdom will definitely be called for, maybe including joining a support group as some have suggested, as we move into the midstage of Alzheimer's. Meanwhile, we can definitely use the cash God provided today!

No comments:

Post a Comment