Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

If not by Wednesday, then...


3:38 p.m. Today's project is to do all that I can as a mom--primarily praying--to help Heidi get well. The last two nights have been interesting. I've been sleeping in the guest bedroom, the one closest to hers, in case she needed something during the night. Between Steve's C-pap machine and the fan I run to overcome that rhythmic but regular sound, I don't hear much from our room.


I've told the kids how I wouldn't allow myself to fall asleep until I could identify one each of their breathing, and I actually could, from down the hall! That's a mother's God-given acute hearing. Those times are long past, along with the frequent middle-of-the-night interruptions that were so much a part of my life. I've happily enjoyed the privilege of a full night's sleep since they all grew up and went off to school, and got married!

But Heidi's bad report from the Urgent Care doctor Friday night, that she is just a few steps from bronchitis, has us all very concerned. Her temperature is up, and her cough is steady, along with her nose dripping. She isn't getting much sleep, either. Pavel taught their joint 5th/6th grade class today at third service; I told the gentleman who organizes the babysitting team for our church's Mexico women's retreat not to expect Heidi next weekend, unless the Lord heals her completely. And even then, we don't know whether what she has is contagious. Steve and I caught minor colds from her a month ago, but we got over them with no lasting effects. But what about babies and small children in less than ideal circumstances? Only the Lord can give the wisdom the team leader needs to make that decision!

Canceling obligations seemed to be a critical task today, so along with the Mexico trip, I called the restaurant where Heidi and Pavel had an appointment this afternoon (Oscar's in Redlands) to taste some dishes they might want catered for their wedding dinner. Yesterday I told my Facebook friends who teach in Jurupa that Heidi wouldn't be available to sub until later in the week.

The urgent care doctor told her that if she wasn't better by Wednesday, she is to see her own doctor. (I think she should go in either way, and find out what's going on, because Dr. Guzman can order blood tests if necessary). So we don't know what to expect. She texted me while we were going into Ralphs that she nearly fainted while we were at church! So I picked up some croissants, her favorite, and a couple of Lean Cuisine sliced turkey meals, and hurried home. All she'd eaten was a granola bar, because she'd had no energy to fix anything, not even toast. It's not looking good...

Her spirits are up this afternoon, because Pavel has come by to bring some medicine and TLC. He's now running out for bagels while she watches a sitcom. But her temperature is still 99.7, up fromm 99 earlier. It's been up and down from 100.3 a few days ago. Puzzling, worrying, and NOT GOOD, says Mom!

The One who made her and knows everything about her is not at all puzzled, nor is Jesus worried! That is because, as Oswald Chambers described Him in My Utmost for His Highest, "He was unhasting and unresting." This is my favorite literary description of Jesus, because it makes perfect sense: Jesus is unhasting, because He knows the outcome of every human situation that will ever take place; and unresting because as Psalm 121:3 says, "the one who watches over you will not slumber." (NLT)

And unlike me, who would eventually drift off to sleep after being reassured that my tots were all breathing and didn't have all the answers for times when they were ailing, any more than I can heal Heidi today, Jesus is sufficient for all of our needs! His power is unmatchable and absolute, as is His love. And no matter what our family doctor diagnoses on Wednesday, Jesus will supply all wisdom, guidance and means to effect a cure.

He is our Great Physician, as He Himself says in Exodus 15 :26:

I am the Lord who heals you.


No comments:

Post a Comment