Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Gone for good


3:18 p.m. Today's project for the afternoon was to clip coupons and place them in labeled folders. Along with placing the new ones in their categories, I removed the expired ones.


Every New Year's Eve, while Steve and I struggle to stay awake until the ball drops, I go through all of my coupons and toss the ones that expire by 12/31. I guess with the planning and enjoying of our friends' company that evening, and then putting food away afterward, I forgot all about this mundane tradition.

I was amazed at the hundreds of coupons I threw into our paper receycling basket. Most of them were for food, but out went major savings on household sundries like light bulbs and pet food, and cleaning products I definitely could have used during the year. I thought about the times I hurriedly went into a store and couldn't be bothered to grab my coupons from the backseat of the Jeep. Just like shopping without a list--you're guaranteed to waste money!

Proverbs 18:9 covers this kind of un-diligent, careless behavior:

He that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster. Or as the NLT puts it, A lazy person is as bad as someone who destroys things.

That's pretty serious!

Even though I would have saved quite a bit of money using the coupons I missed, some were for products I thought I might try but didn't, items I bought generic versions of, or for items I wouldn't need before the expiration date, and I missed culling them out in a timely manner. But whatever the reason, those $ are gone for good by today's date, January 2, 2011.

Missed opportunities of a far more serious nature are part of our human story, aren't they? How many times could we have extended a helping hand or a compliment, but were too lazy, distracted or self-absorbed to do so? Could I have mentored someone or shared a task instead of doing it all myself, as if I am the only one God can use in a particular ministry? We neglect to introduce ourselves to a new neighbor and in these hard times, they move again before we take the time. Could I have used better discretion? And I can't think of one believer who hasn't chickened out of a witnessing opportunity!

Once the particular moment to be thrifty, speak up, or do good passes, it's gone for good!

God knows and understands us, the way we sometimes don't listen to His voice, or dismiss it as our imagination when we want to go in our own direction. "He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust"(Psalm 103:14). But we must repent and act in a way that honors Him, for our own good and the good of those around us. "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith"( Galatians 6:10).

However merciful and patient the Lord is with us, there is one opportunity we dare not pass up, and that is the opportunity to accept Christ as Savior, to become a born again Christian. God offers each person a number of chances to repent and be saved, whether He directly speaks to our conscience, or through a person witnessing. I know I was confronted with the truth of my need for Jesus Christ several times before I acted upon what I heard 31 years ago. But don't wait! Each 24 hours brings us closer to Christ's return, and eventually it will be too late...you will have chosen your fate! God pleads with you to come to Him, but time is running out for life as we know it in this world, OR, your own life could be ending today. Think about that for a minute! I'll close with these words from scripture:

It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment (Hebrews 9:27)

And then your opportunity will be gone for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment