Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Timely wisdom at my feet




9:57 p.m. Today's project was to call all of my Mary Kay customers about my 15% off sale on all products. I was short of the hotel fees for Seminar next week in Dallas, and taking money from our household account was out of the question. After all, this is a business expense, so I needed to earn the money, with a discount on all inventory items. I had made one sale last night after several hours of calling, but did reconnect with some ladies; that will bode well for future sales, I pray. My damaged cell phone was performing admirably, despite another piece falling off the bottom of the cover this morning before I even began my calls!



Steve and I slept a little later than usual, because I would need all the strength I had to persist in calling with a great, upbeat attitude and enthusiasm for each person I spoke to. On a quick break after Steve cleaned up the accident one of our dogs had in her crate, I went into the garage to add bleach to the washer and I found the above index card on the floor at my feet. I recognized my younger daughter Heather [Love's] handwriting; in fact, her box of high school stuff was nearby. It must have been an assigned verse that Heather was to share with the Grove Community Church youth group, because the front had her name on it in another person's writing, and she had copied the verse and some definitions that were amazingly timely for my day.


James 1:2-3,4 (NIV):


Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.



Under this verse, Heather had written, "Tough times never last, but tough people do."



The definition of perseverance she quoted from Webster's Dictionary was "to persevere: to work through it; to persist (as in an undertaking) in spite of difficulties."



As I called dozens of ladies and left message after message, I had been feeling discouraged, what with the interruptions for directing Steve in his daily activities, and preparing lunches and meals for next week while I'm gone. When he took the dogs for their walk, I got in a solid chunk of phone time, totally focused, and made another sale. The faithful Lord honored my commitment and the labor that went into keeping that commitment, and didn't let the tears that threatened to flow come into my voice or onto my cheeks!



My Sales Director texted some encouraging words, we loaded up my inventory, and I left to do some banking and to deliver products, taking my phone list with me for time between customer visits. While at Wells Fargo, I got an urgent message. I actually added a new member to my team today, with her filling out the online application on her own! Thank you, Lord! I love the way He throws in some encouragement every day!



Mandisa's song "Stronger" kept going through my head, especially the lines, "It's gonna make you stronger!" and "Try, and do the best you can, go on and let Him take your hand; fall into the arms of Jesus." Yes, that was what I had determined to do. So as I drove away from one paying appointment, I called others who live in Moreno Valley. One sale quickly formed, I made my mascara delivery and picked up another check--moments after Jennifer had thrown way her old mascara-- and made an arrangement for two other deliveries. I checked in with Steve, and then made another quick deposit.



At home, Steve and I did some gardening and had dinner. I called another customer and we drove over to her house, left products and picked up her payment. Back to the bank!

Now 8:15, it was too late for a Saturday night to call anyone, so we went on a walk around the neighborhood and spent some much-needed time together.



By Monday, the last day I can work before leaving early Tuesday, may the Lord be gracious to me and provide all of my needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus!




1 comment:

  1. Your words are very inspiring to hear. How wonderful it is to have the Lord put something so small right under your feet just when you need it. Thank you for sharing this, I needed to hear it and didn't even know it.

    ReplyDelete