Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

An encouraging word, fitly spoken

7:32 p.m. Today's project was to see  a word from the Lord carried out through my Mary Kay sales director Laurie.

We had just wrapped up a fun meeting when I was headed out the door with both arms loaded down. She said, "Okay, Dana go get your hair done tomorrow and sell some product!" I retorted, "Hey, do I look like I need to go? Which I do!" We said goodnight and off I went. The funny part was that I hadn't even remembered that I had an appointment; I was just focused on getting back home through the Canyon, and whether I should deposit a customer's check last night or in the morning. Knowing that Steve was having his Thursday night popcorn with his hilarious caregiver, Cassandra, kept my mind at ease and able to do my job. Thank you, God, for believers who serve the ones Jesus called "the least of these," (Matthew 25:40) the mentally and physically disabled, the hurting!

Having decided not to risk walking up to a night deposit slot in a dimly-lit parking lot, I went straight home, enjoying worship songs on the radio, and assisted with the caregiver's night time duties.  Thinking Laurie might be prescient about my sales prospects for the morning, I left my inventory and gifts in the Jeep instead of hauling them all in. If her words were going to be as "apples of gold in pictures of silver," as Proverbs 25:11 puts it, I wanted to be ready. 

The Lord showed me to publicize the new lip glosses with samples, catalogs, and products to sell as I walked in for my 11:00 appointment. My 25% off Inventory Reduction Sale sweetened the deals, as sales tend to do. This "Look, everybody!" approach is not unusual for me, because the beauticians and their clients are my customers already. But they love to see the new products, especially makeup, so I show or demonstrate them by applying them under the hair dryer where I sit for a few minutes each time. Today was a good success--I sold products to three cash customers! But the day wasn't finished yet.

My sweet friend and team member Debbie called to let me now that she'd placed a nice-sized order, which helps me financially as a Star Team Builder (Red  Jacket). The company pays us commissions on our recruits' production, though not one penny is taken from their own profits. Sheer  genius! I especially saw God's grace in Debbie's perseverance, because she lost her mom, a godly, active 74 year old, just before Christmas. They know she's in a better place, but it isn't a better place here for those left behind. Debbie said, "It's like a black cloud was hanging over Christmas" with the memorial on the 22nd. I encouraged and loved her as best I could, and I know she will continue on with the Lord, and memories of her mom will just be all sweet as time passes. We can all receive Proverbs 10:22 in anticipation of the day when we all reunite in heaven:

The blessing of the LORD makes one rich,
And He adds no sorrow with it.

The blessings continued on. A very dear customer, my daughter's mother-in-law Kathleen, came over to try the new gel facial mask and visit. (All of the precise designations make our relationship sound so formal, but we have become good friends over the three years of our kids' marriage). She enjoyed a nice discount also, and I appreciated her taking time out of one of her last Christmas vacation days to have a facial.

Soon after, a mother-daughter team of Mary Kay consultants, Heather and Tara, dropped by, delivering two products on loan from our sales director, enabling me to complete deliveries already paid for. It turns out that they live in our general part of town and travel the same route through San Timiteo Canyon to Redlands, so the question was, "Why aren't we carpooling to our Thursday meeting?"

Yes, a good word was spoken over me for today, and a good business day it was! But more than that, I saw how God gave Steve and me a good afternoon together, relationships with friends were strengthened, and the finances He provided gave me the confidence to go buy my husband's meds without hesitation.

Thank you, Lord, for sending this new and exciting stream of benefits into our home. Isaiah 43:19 puts it best:

Behold, I will do a new thing,
Now it shall spring forth;
Shall you not know it?
I will even make a road in the
  wilderness
And rivers in the desert.  

No comments:

Post a Comment