Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

No shortcut

3:47 p.m. Today's project was to finish putting ornaments on the Christmas tree. During this ongoing job, I gave a facial to Steve's caregiver after they walked the dog, did laundry, wrapped a present, made business phone calls, and separated out ornaments my newly-married daughter might like for their first tree, a 7.5 footer. Come to think of it, our son Kriss and his wife got their first tree this year also, so I should make them the same offer! Heather reclaimed some of her handmade baubles and a wall hanging about three years ago when she and Nick were still newlyweds in their apartment.

Some of these jobs, like trimming the tree and wrapping presents, served double duty--need, and clearing space on my entry way floor and in my Mary Kay office. Those storage boxes are pretty huge, and with Steve's occasional balance issues, boxes on the floor are downright hazardous!

I also needed (and still need) to find a missing saucer from the Widows' Might dinner last night. By the time I arrived to pick up and transport my tableware, the ladies had rinsed and stacked the plates and gathered up the utensils. But it wasn't until I got home that I noticed one saucer missing. So this morning I've called the church, they've searched and come up empty; called, texted or emailed others who helped serve at the dinner, and not much progress has been made. But if God can uncover the location of one table hostess' tiny diamond earring, He can help us locate my Nikko "Happy Holidays" Christmas tree saucer!

As we give our lives to the Lord, trust His word, wait on Him, and practice due diligence in awe and reverence, Psalm 19:7-8 reminds us,

The law of the LORD is perfect, 
   converting the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is
   sure, making wise the simple; 
The statutes of the LORD are
   right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is
  pure enlightening the eyes...

After making diligent search of my house and Jeep, and making diligent inquiries at church, I decided not to fret--the saucer will turn up! (Or I'll have eleven instead of twelve).

We had a pleasant interruption this afternoon, a call from Steve's optometrist's office that his glasses had arrived. Excellent development, because sharpening any one of his senses can only help with balance, perception and cognition. We happily went to the medical complex, he was fitted with the very basic bifocals, and we left five minutes later, praise the Lord.

We drove across Day Street to Winco discount mega-grocer, and picked up some items for the week of Christmas, and basics, like eggs and chicken, I guess that's backwards. ("Which came first?") Then I asked Steve, who was carefully picking his way down the aisle, "If you could have any treat in the store, what would you pick?" He smiled, but couldn't think of anything, and also looked hesitant to voice an opinion. Then we saw them--corndogs! Nothing like these batter-dipped treats to bring back memories of the National Orange Show, county fairs, Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm! In my humble opinion, the Orange Show in San Bernardino had the biggest and best corndogs anywhere, no contest! In the 60's , they also had the scariest rides. A shame it went away in the 80's, because only my oldest son may even remember going with me and his grandparents, or with Steve and me.

Just like the Orange Show in its heyday of Hollywood movie stars and big name rock bands headlining the evening shows, this world and all of its system of operation is also coming to an end. The devil has run the show, with evil temptations to sin intended to destroy each human life before we can come to accept Christ as our Savior. When satan offered Jesus the kingdoms of the world if he would bow down to him, Jesus didn't argue the devil's ownership of the world. Adam's sin turned it over to him! Hear Luke 4:4:5-8:

Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said to Him, " All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. Therefore, if You will worship before me, all will be Yours."

And Jesus answered and said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the LORD Your God, and Him only shall you serve.' "

Jesus knew there would be no avoiding the Cross, no shortcut to saving those who would come to believe in Him and be cleansed by His blood shed for all mankind. Jesus came to die for you and for me.

Will you renounce this world system and step into Jesus' kingdom for eternity by asking Him to come into your heart? The time for a decision is NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment