Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Love bears, believes, hopes and endures all things

2:07 p.m. Today's project was to visit with my dad in Redlands, pick up a card table at my sales director's house for a boutique I'm doing in Mission Viejo tomorrow, and then pamper a customer with a microdermabrasion appointment in Redlands also. I left Steve busily enjoying himself in our garden with a very pleasant,and capable caregiver, watering seeds, pulling weeds and filling in a gopher hole.

After picking up the table, I swung over to Daddy's house and he drove me to different important locations I'd need to deal with as Trustee of his trust. I had forgotten that I wasn't to be in my Jeep, so we had to stop at a gas station for a free cup of water from the soda fountain, but at least I didn't pay $2.50 for bottled water!

We drove past my old elementary school that is a continuation school now. The restaurant-lounge a classmate of mine once owned is now a motel on old Highway 99, with a new Social Security office nearby. Back at my dad's house, we talked about the time management class I was asked to teach tonight at our Mary Kay Success meeting, as well as Steve's progress and some issues of safety I'm working on now. For example, he needs to stay with me, not lag behind or take a different route in a big parking lot like Winco, because, as I explained to him, he looks like an everyday normal adult, so drivers will assume he is looking both ways and sees them coming and will exercise due caution (unlike the way they would stop their car for a child or an elderly stooped-over person). I try to have him hold onto the shopping cart, but sometimes he lets go, and while I am looking forward, he'll cross behind me and not be where I saw him the few seconds before...please pray for our outings!

While at Daddy's kitchen table, I got a cancellation for the noon appointment, and rescheduled her. Then I did connect with a new potential customer I met and booked for last week. No firm appointment, so I'll call her back and others as well. Cancellations are expected in any business, but they are still disappointing in any business--no sales if you don't sit down with a prospect or customer!

But nothing this morning compared with crushing information I received a bit later out of the blue, just as my dad's and my fun visit was wrapping up.

I can take temporary business reversals in stride, but what about a personal disappointment? It may be made up for later, but to a I Corinthians 13:7, trusting person, the hurt goes right to Steve's and my hearts.

Love...bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

The Lord showed me to be even more grateful for the going-out-of their-way kindnesses of our church friends who love us so dearly. And within the hour, He gave me visible confirmation! I almost returned home on the 10 freeway, but the Lord had me drive through San Timiteo Canyon and into Moreno Valley via Redlands Boulevard instead.

As I drove on Redlands Blvd, and would have taken the 60 west on-ramp, the Holy Spirit popped a thought into my head: "Call Ron and Gretchen." I had left a jacket in her car when we went to volunteer in the Operation Christmas Child warehouse last week. Their home is off of the street I was on. Ron picked up the phone, gave me their gate code, and said that he'd meet me there.

He exited his SUV with a large bag, and as I thanked him, he said, "That other is a gift from Gretchen." And there it was, a mesh back support for driving! My thanks was profuse and sincere, and my heart deeply touched, especially today. I had admired hers last week, thinking nothing about it since.

But God did, didn't He?  Psalm 27:10 (NLT) says that there is only one Person to count on, the mover of human hearts to reflect His kind character by their actions.

Even if my father and mother
    abandon me,
the LORD will hold me close.

No comments:

Post a Comment