Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The witness of Steve's life Part II

12:02 p.m. Today's project was to get up at 6 a.m., take a quick shower before Steve woke up, and let out the dog by 6:18 so she wouldn't be barking from the nearby garage when the caregiver rang the doorbell at 6:30.

I was very tired, my own fault for  staying up until 10:20 last night watching an episode of  Law & Order, trying to "wind down" after helping Steve get into bed. Kind of like I would sit up late with my youngest baby Steven in 1988, nursing him long after the rest of the family had retired, so I'd watch the Tonight Show or Arsenio Hall until we'd both get sleepy.

It would be a long but rewarding day, with a double facial and later, our Mary Kay meeting. In the morning, I planned to take Steve and go grocery shopping. Uninspired is a good word for me at 6 a.m. today--counting on my devotional time to focus on the Lord and not my physical condition.

I had put the dishes away when the doorbell rang. Steve's caregiver came in very shaky and somewhat upset, and asked if he could talk with me for a minute before getting Steve up. We had both been witnessing to him and he did go to church last month. The caregiver asked me if I believed in ghosts, and I explained that there are evil spirits about, but that believers in Jesus need not fear them. He recounted a frightening "appearance" he'd seen at 4 a.m., and said I was the only one he thought of to call, but it was too early. So after telling him of the strength and power of Jesus in all who believe, I asked him if he would like to ask Jesus into his heart, right then and there.

He said, "Yes, please!" so I prayed and then had him repeat the sinner's prayer after me. Hallelujah!

Romans 10:13:

"Whoever calls upon the name of the LORD shall be saved."

I then told him that Jesus has absolute and ultimate power over the whole universe, and now God the Holy Spirit was living inside of him; for that reason he no longer has anything to fear. Christians cannot be demon possessed, even though the devil can bother and disturb us.

He was so much calmer, joyful, and was beginning to allow his fears to subside. That's the power of the Holy Spirit at work--instantly as soon as we receive Christ as Savior. We'll see him at church on Sunday! After the service I'll take him down the aisle to the new convert counselors whose ministry it is to follow up with baby Christians.

If Steve had not needed the early morning care, which includes assisting me in setting up his online devotionals, we would not have been able to be used by God to make an impact for Him. Steve was very excited when I told him of the conversion. The witness of his life and struggle with Alzheimer's continues to grow!

Remembering that Jesus told the formerly demon-possessed man, Mark 5:19, "to go home to your friends and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He had compassion on you," I told the caregiver on his way out, "Now go tell someone about Jesus!"

1 comment:

  1. Praise the LORD for Steve's witness and your faithfulness.

    I just got back from the funeral of a dear friend who died in the LORD after MD. We drove many miles and I delivered a heart-felt eulogy. Pray for her family that her testimony with her disase might help those who don't know Jesus to turn to Him.

    ReplyDelete