Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Quite a day!

2:55 p.m. Today's project was to "work out what God has worked in!" In the words of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 2:12b-13, (NLT),

Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him.

As Christians,  we have a very deep desire to please God, but find that our daily route to doing so runs through people, first, and through trials, second. We have only to read the Old Testament chronicles of the life of David, for instance, in I Samuel, suffering decades of persecution from King Saul before becoming king of Israel, to put the trials we go through in perspective! So far, anyway, I haven't been hunted as an outlaw and forced to hide in a cave! Outlaw status and the accompanying tests of faith were also the lot of Moses and Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Yet, their trials and triumphs of faith are the foundation on which our faith has been built, as recorded in Hebrews Chapter 11.

I wonder whether my behavior in trials will be remembered as laudatory and worthy of imitation, preparing me for even more fiery trials of faith; decently acceptable, since I had no other choice; or sadly lacking in fortitude and gratitude for the lessons learned!

Psalm 24:10 says,

If you faint in the day of adversity, your strength is small.

Ouch!

After a day like today, which consisted of an indelicate incident with backyard cleanup--I facetiously ponder having a smaller dog! Running screaming into the house to wash my hands would qualify as having "small strength," I would say.  I certainly admire the calm and patient demeanor of my husband's caregivers, who routinely assist Steve with all of his tasks. And much as I have observed it, somehow the knack of helping Steve out of his outer shirt and putting on a clean one has escaped me as well. (I eventually get it done, once I remember to pray out loud so Steve can agree with me)!

Jeremiah 12:5, which I also keep posted, provides a stepped-up challenge:

If you have run with the footmen and they have wearied you, then how can you contend with horses?

How will I contend with a completely helpless husband? Even with professional help? The emotional component promises to be the greatest trial of all in an Alzheimer caregiver's life.

Prayerfulness, love, compassion and a gentle attitude will go a long way in helping Steve, the kids and myself through this trial. God knows every stage, every accompanying deterioration, and finally when to let go of any hopes for a recovery and restoration of Steve's faculties and daily functioning. May I enjoy the fun times we can still enjoy, lower expectations for him and me, and follow the Lord on His path for us.

After all, as a believer, I know the end of my life's story! May it be told well as I'm on the way,

No comments:

Post a Comment