Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Faith is not a status


4:41 p.m. Today's project was to make sure Steve got up in plenty of time to shower, dress and have his devotions before we left for Charlotte and Howard's for working in their orchard. From 9-12 I'd have time to write. Praise the Lord for such good friends! And as a bonus, the day dawned cool and foggy, perfect for working outdoors.
Earlier, I had turned to my reading in the Gospel of John in the New Living Translation, and started with the commentary as usual. Editor Gary M. Burge's comment on John 3:10-18, Jesus' challenge to Nicodemus the Pharisee, astounded me to the point that I had to hand-copy it and it's stayed with me all day!
"For [Gospel writer] John, faith is not a status, but an investment in the person of Jesus. Faith means accepting who Jesus is and what He claims to be. Faith constitues a commitment to let His call change the way we live. Faith is the work God wants from us as we abide in Jesus' Word, as we love Him, and as we obey His commands."
May we have the faith God desires to instill in us, to walk in His ways and love others as He loves us!!


No comments:

Post a Comment