Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's a God thing


3:10 p.m. Today's project was to run down to Vons to get some Iams 1 year+ food for Jada and Bailey, milk and bread for Steve, and generally fill up our empty cupboards and freezers. We'd been waiting for the rent check to come in from our rental house in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I ended up knocking $35 off my bill without even opening my coupon folder--big meat sale was on, and I also found some "buy one/get one free" items.

I was wandering about the produce aisle when my old friend Rocky ran up to me with a sister from Harvest whom I hadn't seen for twenty years. We had a ball catching up. They strengthened me in our trial with Steve's Alzheimers, something I really needed after a very difficult morning where it became obvious that Steve no longer understands directional words and prepositional phrases like "over there," "behind you," or "in front of the tomatillo plant." We both got very frustrated this morning, but by the time I left, he was raking the garden soil for composting, and ready to mow the lawn. My Lord truly is "the God of all comfort," as II Corinthians 1:3 says, but it sure was a blessing to be loved on by friends!

Both encouraged me in the Lord in regard to my teaching ministry--Rocky wants me to have my teaching sessions taped for video distribution (What?!) and both gals are excited about Galatians coming out in the spring. "Please just buy a copy!" I joked. Proverbs 27:2 says, "Let another man praise you, and not your own lips," so we'll just leave it at that!

Rocky has been developing a ministry to victims of violence, arranging the venue and featured speakers. She is hoping to inaugurate the program on October 4th after a number of delays. The delays had her down, but I told her it's just not God's timing yet. She said, "Maybe He's going to do something so huge that more time is needed!" Now that's the spirit!!!

As believers, we have so much good to share with one another, so many ways to uplift each other concerning family and ministry matters. And we should look for opportunities to speak a good word, giving that "cup of cold water" to the thirsty, those who, like me, don't even realize how much strain we are living under. (And how badly we need a hug!)

That's what made this morning's encounter in the produce aisle a God thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment