Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

A pretty challenging project




3:21 p.m. Today's project was to create a floral centerpiece for Heidi and Pavel's engagement party tomorrow. The gathering will be intimate, just immediate families and bridal party. The pastor who will be performing their ceremony, Sammy Martinez, and his wife Ivett, will be attending also.

The couple's chosen venue, the Smokey Canyon Bbq restaurant in the Canyon Crest Towne Centre, serves magnificent barbecued entrees, sandwiches, and knockout homemade desserts. The patio that we've reserved only seats 28 at the 7 tables, so the gathering will be cozy. In case of hot weater at 5 p.m., there are enough shade umbrellas for the tables; in case of the kind of cool evenings we've been enjoying, heaters are available. Smokey Canyon has us covered!

Wound up as I naturally am, the need to provide a centerpiece small enough not to overwhelm the bride and groom's table when placed next to an 8x10 portrait, has had me tossing and turning a bit this week! I knew I wanted to incorporate Heidi's colors of fuschia and orange, preferably with her beloved Gerber daisies, and would work in her wedding reception ribbon into whatever the florist created.

I got a referral to my hairdresser's sister-in-law, who has a thriving floral business in Riverside. When I called and described what I wanted--a "modest" arrangement--the price was $55.00. That actually was reasonable considering that she would have had to special order the Gerber daisies. But this is not a week for that level of expenditure. If it weren't for three Mary Kay lipstick sales, Steve and I would have been cutting it close on paying for our two dinners on Saturday! The Lord provides!

Vons at the Plaza had just gotten their fresh flower shipment in when I arrived at noon. I was able to get the main colors I wanted by selecting two bouquets that featured daisies, mums and carnations with pretty foliage and small flowers in complimentary shades for $9.99 each. The square glass bowl, left over from a bouquet Pavel had brought Heidi some time ago, was in my office, and the wired ribbon was in a box in the upstairs guest bedroom that I refer to as the "wedding supply store." It used to be my "Mary Kay store," but is rapidly being overtaken. You won't be able to see the queen bed by next June!

One thing I realized on my way home from the store was that even though I had read my chapter of Luke, posted a verse from Psalm 97 on Facebook, as well as spending two hours writing an exposition and anecdote for chapter three of Galatians, I had forgotten to make my daily journal entry!! I was missing that lovely, quiet time of pouring my heart out to the Lord and receiving His tacit comfort and love in return. No wonder I was jumpy and nervous, even though the Lord was working everything out wonderfully. I realized the truth of 2 Timothy 2:13:

If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.

After quickly putting the flowers in water and hiding them, helping Steve with his sandwich and eating some chicken, the first opportunity I had I sat down and journalled! One thought occured to me meanwhile: here I was, worrying about my daily morning ritual, when the entire book of Galatians was written to free immature Gentile believers from bondage to outmoded Jewish rituals and observances! God seems to enjoy ironies, doesn't He?
Was I worried about losing either my salvation or my Father's love? Not at all. I just noticed the effect on my peace of mind and normally joyful disposition. Starting the morning right, not only writing about God, but writing to God, makes for a better day, pure and simple!

Finally, it was time to get creative!! I glued the ribbon around the bowl, filled it with clear glass beads, cut the flowers' stems down to about 5 inches, and arranged them in what I hoped would be a pleasingly symmetrical manner. A decorating champ of a girlfriend, Monica, texted me back from my picture message that the arrangement looked great--and she would have given me some honest tips, I'm sure!
The Lord provided once again, meeting all of our needs, even the need for enjoyment of the beauty He created! (And for a quarter of the price!)
Later in the afternoon, I popped over to the restaurant, examined the patio tables, and the small centerpiece will be just the right size! Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment