Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Decision made, money saved


5:16 p.m. Today's project was to go with Steve to the Riverside Social Security office. Since we left the house about an hour after I had planned, it's good that e only had to drive a mile to get there.


I had been praying about changing Steve over to Medicare, now that he's qualified, but had to find out if there would be a substantial savings by doing so. I also needed to know if the Medicare Part D (prescription drug coverage) would be an additional cost. If both of them equalled or exceeded the $193 I pay for his health care now, I wouldn't change.
We both took books to read and took a number from the kiosk in the corner. I applied my eye makeup to while away the time, and we both read our books. Steve is slowly completing The Purple Pig by Dick Eastman, about international prayer and evangelism ministry, and I am starting an Amish inspirational novel by B.J. Hoff, Where Grace Abides.
It wasn't very long before our number was called, and I took our driver's licenses up to the window to ask about the cost of Part D, if any, in addition to the $114.50 for medical and hospital. The tech told me that I'd have to look into each plan offered, and then decide. I got no real help, but at least we didn't have to stay there too long! Thank heaven for small mercies, as the saying goes.
We picked up some darling items for a "cousins" baby shower--God has blessed sisters Stacy and Stephanie with first babies to be born within 6 weeks of one another-- and headed home for lunch. I needed to tackle my phone calls to prescription drug plan providers listed in the huge Medicare and Me book. I had no idea that private insurance companies contracted with the feds to provide coverage. I'm very glad to know that there is competition and private enterprise at work in the administration of Medicare. It makes everyone work harder-- the companies have to compete with affordable premiums and provide customer satisfaction; the customer has to study and investigate in order to find the most affordable plan with the best features.
God encourages diligence in our business affairs. Psalm 112: 5b says of a good man, "He will guide his affairs with discretion." So after I narrowed the list down to plans that serve Riverside, I picked one with a $0 monthly premium. The generic drugs that Steve takes will cost nothing or $5 at the most, and his main brand name pill, Aricept, will cost about half of our current plan's co-pay. I completed a phone application. There's even a basic dental plan with the company for $0 cost! Steve will have to go to a different primary care doctor, but I selected one whose wife I know, a long-time, well respected physician.
Tomorrow when we pay the February and March premiums at the Jurupa business office, I'll have them remove Steve from the plan as of April 1st when the Medicare begins. With Steve's confusion and agitation issues gradually increasing, and his verbal communication decreasing, it's one less Alzheimer's issue hanging over my head!
As I ponder Psalm 112:4-7 describing the person who fears the LORD, I pray to develop more of these qualities!
Unto the upright there arises light
in the darkness;
He is gracious, and full of
compassion, and righteous.
A good man deals graciously and
lends;
He will guide his affairs with
discretion.
Surely he will never be shaken;
The righteous will be in
everlasting remembrance.
He will not be afraid of evil
tidings;
His heart is steadfast, trusting in
the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment