Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

The right priorities




1:55 p.m. Today's project is to attend the Mary Kay Career Conference at the Ontario Convention Center. Arrangements are in place for Steve's regular caregiver to arrive by 4:00 p.m. so I can meet my Sales Director and unit girlfriends at the nearby Marie Callendar's.

The last time I attended this conference it was held in Bakersfield in 2008. My daughter Heather, who was my recruiter and senior consultant, and her best friend Megan were in the car with fellow consultants Kim and me, rocking out to Michael Jackson tunes to pass the long drivetime away. Megan and Heather are old married ladies now! And only Megan and I are still in the business. Times change, don't they, along with the phases of our lives.

We enjoyed $80 worth of free products, all kinds of training and inspiration, Christian fellowship within our unit, and just plain fun. The plan for this weekend's two-day event is for the consultants to spend the night at a slumber party in our Sales Director's home and return in the morning. However, I'll need to drive back tonight because Heidi's wedding gown fitting is tomorrow, and I know my priorities, interestingly, the ones the late Mary Kay Ash herself laid out: God first, family second, and then your business."

Deuteronomy 6:4 (NLT) says, as to our first priority,


Listen, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength."


The word of God is just as vehement in its command to care for our families:


If any provide not for his own, and especially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith and is worse than an infidel. (I Timothy 5:8, KJV)


And the Lord has commanded us to be diligent in our work or business. Who can forget the virtuous woman selling her wares in Proverbs 31, or Lydia, the hospitable seller of purple fabric in Acts 16? In Romans 12:11, the Apostle Paul exhorts believers to be


Not slothful in business, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord.


Included in this verse is our church ministry as well, whatever the Holy Spirit has gifted each one to do.

Long convinced that there is no division between secular and sacred work for the believer, I feel that all of our efforts in life can be used to reach others for Christ and to encourage and instruct other believers. As long as my priorities remain intact, and I prayerfully prepare for each day, the Lord meets me at home and in the marketplace for the glory, praise and honor of His Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment