Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Fresh gleanings


4:12 p.m. Today's project was to awaken from a wintry January and February and make wise use of the new resources God has provided.

In the last few days, Steve and I have found ourselves in the happy position of hosting a birthday dinner for our daughters; replacing the cartridges in our computer printer; getting him an easy-to-use and inexpensive--read "free"--cell phone because our past due Verizon bill is paid; making doctor appointments for both of us; and re-stocking the natural supplements that help both of us function better. We even celebrated Pavel's license exam results with a pizza, a rare treat so far in 2011. We will now be able to give to ministries and charitable causes we support. And I almost forgot! My book, Galatians: An Exploration of Faith and Freedom, now has a release date of May 31st!
We have truly experienced Proverbs 13:12:
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.
This afternoon after we arrived home from errands and Steve left with the dogs on their walk, I felt urged to go out to the garden for the first time in several days. Due to regular rains each week, the soil, though enriched and refreshed from the heavens, hasn't been conducive to walking or weeding! But this second day of sun has dried it up nicely, and I was gratified by what I saw.
I picked two broccoli florets and both red and green lettuce, noting carrot and spinach plants too small to pick, but coming along nicely. I can't wait to add them to the salad I'm taking to my visit with my sister, niece and dad tomorrow in Redlands. After the visit, Steve and I will be heading over to Kimberly Crest Estate for a meeting with the wedding coordinator and the soon-to-be-wed Heidi and Pavel. Time to get some details ironed out for June 25th! It's been a fresh beginning for this mom and daughter, working together but separately on the myriad wedding details, with her taking advantage of my daily availability and absolute love of planning and organizing events. (I Corinthians 12:28 calls this gift (or role) 'administrations.') So while Heidi teaches all day, I can pick up supplies, call and visit vendors, and generally take the pressure off of her. I check in with her at her lunchtime by text or picture message.
Fresh gleanings are happening up in the Central Valley for our son Steven, too. His prayer meeting group's cookie-baking (!) ministry has been the catalyst for scores of healings and answered prayers of all kinds among fellow Fresno Pacific University students. His own torn bicep has been miraculously healed by faith in the name of Jesus Christ as well--"100% healed!" was his quote. Steven is back to training for a lifting competition in LA in April. One prayer group member is becoming quite special, a young lady who shares his athleticism, love for the Lord and their street witnessing forays into the ghettos of Fresno. As I pray for the salvation of the lost, the mom in me also prays for my child's safety!
Even so, other family and ministry matters require steady, consistent spiritual warfare, battling in prayer and applying God's Word. It takes Holy Spirit power to lend help to the ailing and the needy, to encourage the fearful and brokenhearted. We who love Jesus are His hands and feet in this world, a signal honor by every measure. May we not disappoint our Lord by failing to love and care for one another! May our hearts be full of gratitude daily.
James 1:17 says,
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
In this fresh, early spring season, may we give God the glory and take none of His good gifts for granted!


No comments:

Post a Comment