Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Check it out





1:40 p.m. Today's project --and the week's project--was to check into the ideas that the Holy Spirit called my attention to.



It started on Wednesday when I spotted an ad for a Christian concert being held by a nationwide chain of bookstores. Thinking that they might be interested in carrying my Bible study Galatians: An Exploration of Faith & Freedom, I called their headquarters and received emailed instructions for submitting products in my inbox within the hour. So I will work on that over the weekend! Thank You, Lord!



This morning, still smarting after the loss of some of our monthly rent check due to roof repair after a hailstorm at our house in Cheyenne, Wyoming, an idea popped into my head: we have homeowners insurance--why not check into reimbursement for those repairs?! The property management company documents their repair expenses for us per incident, so supplying proof is no problem.



I finished my devotions and contacted our State Farm agent in Cheyenne, and had a wonderful conversation with the office manager there. She recounted arriving in Cheyenne from the Imperial Valley here in Southern California a few years ago, and having to run out and buy her kids jeans because there was a snowstorm in progress--in April!



She did advise me that adjusters need to see the damage before repairs are undertaken, so they can see what the damage really amounted to, which I received as a word to the wise for future. Beverly has already sent me the office information and instructions for future claims. So gracious is our God! Psalm 145:18 says,



The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.



Lately, the Lord has sent ladies over to my home with time to enjoy a facial. Pretty nice sales have resulted, and new customers are excited about the Mary Kay product line. Who knows? I may see new team members as a result. This afternoon, I have two facials coming up in my dining room. I will also have an opportunity to invite them to the Harvest Crusade!Praise You, Jesus!



Today, another opportunity came to my attention. Knowing that Steve and I have been advertising for a renter for our refurbished spare bedrooom, my hairdresser told me about a University of California Riverside program that she has participated in over the years. It's called "Homestay," for foreign students to live with local families and learn the American lifestyle and culture. All that is required is a separate bedroom with bed and desk, and their own bathroom, exactly what we are offering. Irene tells me it's very pleasant. They eat with you, and you just take them to school at 9 a.m. in the morning and pick them up at 4 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays they take field trips, and again, just need to be picked up and dropped off. They were at lunch when I called, and I am awaiting a return phone call.



The Lord can bring concepts to us at any time, such as when we are serving our spouse, or when we are worshiping Him in our quiet devotional time. It is then up to us to follow up, make the contact, or carry out whatever instructions He gives us. Even if much hard work is involved, such as readying our spare bedroom, we'll be blessed in our efforts.



I read a quote on our son Steven's wall, I think credited to Ann Landers: "Since opportunity is often disguised as hard work, many people miss it."



Only God himself knows what He has in mind for each of His children, so I'll close in faith with Jeremiah 29:11:



For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment