Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Wait, wait, wait and wait! Part I



8:18 p.m. Today's project was to meet my dad at Redlands Community Hospital for his checkup and lab results. He had spent a couple of very uncomfortable days wearing a medical appliance, so he was definitely looking forward to having it removed today, since his symptoms had subsided. Thank you, Lord for answering the prayers of Your people in my dad's behalf!




Though the drive through San Timiteo Canyon was a breeze, finding a place to park at the hospital was a challenge. But the Lord was with me, because I found a wonderfully shady parking spot across the street. I took one of my Bibles with me, along with my I Samuel 23 lesson for Thursday in case I arrived before him. (I complete the lessons along with the women, so that we're on the same page as we review the questions each week). I wondered if people thought I was preaching door-to-door! But since my outfit included Bermuda shorts and flip-flops, my appearance was probably a little too casual for witnessing.



Daddy had gone in, gotten his labs, and was waiting for the physician's assistant to come back and meet me. And wait we did! He had to keep getting up for the pain caused by his appliance, so I advised him to sit way out on the edge of his chair for less pressure. To pass the time, I told him of the appointment I had gotten him with his primary care physician for the end of next week; the medical transportation van he might have use for appointments; and my contact with the Home Health aides. The PA must have paged Dr. Fox 20 times, but I guess they just consulted with him, rather than have him see my dad in person. We waited while nurses were contacted about removing the appliance, and waited while the fire alarm went off and the doors to our corridor automatically locked down. That was a fascinating process that no staff members but one nurse who came with a fire extinguisher seemed to take seriously. And the alarm stopped just as she arrived! I guess the alarm got pulled in the Emergency waiting room.



Daddy's appliance was removed, and then it was time to wait once more--in the lobby--for discharge papers. This took an hour, seriously. By the time I hit the road for home from his house, it was 2:30 p.m. 4 hours, almost!



There was more waiting to be done, because my husband Steve had a brain MRI scheduled for 6 p.m. at Riverside Medical Clinic on Brockton Ave. We dutifully arrived at the X-ray reception spot at 5:45, filled out the paper about metal in his head, and as I had done at the hospital earlier, I gave out Mary Kay samples. Then we waited over 30 minutes. Aren't you always amazed at the number of people who arrive after you but are called back before you? Of course, I realize that we probably aren't all competing for the same machine, or tech, but it still seems so--unjust.



With all this waiting uppermost in my mind this evening, I thought to look up verses in God's word about waiting, for my own sake as well as the sake of anyone else who finds waiting unbearable. God does mighty works for and through us whether we are sitting waiting, or actively going about our day. When we feel we're not accomplishing anything, God is, whether we want to believe it or not. Think of this: just maintaining a pleasant expression while waiting is a good witness!


Psalm 27:14:


Wait on the LORD;

Be of good courage,

And He shall strengthen your heart;

Wait, I say, on the LORD!


Lamentations 3:25-26:


The LORD is good to those who wait for Him,

To the soul who seeks Him.

It is good that one should hope and wait quietly

For the salvation of the LORD.


Romans 8:24-25:


For we were saved in this hope (redemption of the body), but hope that is seen is not hope, for why does one still hope for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.


Isaiah 30:18 shows us that even the Lord waits!


Therefore the LORD will wait, that

He may be gracious to you;

And therefore He will be exalted,

that He may have mercy on

you.

For the LORD is a God of justice;

Blessed are all those who wait

for Him.


Amen--I can wait, Lord, if that's what You are calling me to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment