Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A dedicated day



8:53 p.m. Today's project was to write my Bible study for Thursday morning. After the first two days of the week flying by with medical appointments for my dad and an MRI for Steve, I had my research notes finished, but the actual lecture had to be written out.





So I made sure to get a good night's rest and slept until 8. We had devotions and breakfast, and then I switched my cell to "all sounds off" and settled down to work.



I had reflected with a friend on Facebook that being temporarily separate from our phones, whether shutting off the ringer or just leaving them at home, was surprisingly relaxing and freeing. Maybe human beings weren't meant to be accessible to everyone they know--and don't know--24 hours a day.


The One I need to be in touch with 24 hours a day is always there, paying absolute attention to my praises, thanks, confessions, and petitions--that is the Lord Jesus Christ. "I will never leave you nor forsake you, " He stated (Hebrews 13:5). I believe Jesus, and I know that He is concerned with every aspect of my life.


I love the way the Lord is working in my behalf, in the background every day. I had cancelled a hair appointment for 10:00 a.m. Friday morning, because I am joining my daughters, daughter-in-law, and Heather's mother-in-law, sister-in-law and her friend Megan at the Glen Ivy Hot Springs and Spa on Saturday. Having a spiffy new hairdo isn't very wise in the mud bath or the sauna! Until this morning, that time slot was empty. But when I checked with the University of California's Homestay program to get an application for a foreign exchange student to live with us, amazingly, their orientation class is Friday at 10 a.m.! So while I was rearranging my schedule for my little reasons, God had a bigger, more advantageous use for that time slot!


As I sat down to write out the study, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode of David sparing King Saul's life in I Samuel 24, when his men urged him to kill his pursuer on the spot. David sliced off a piece of fabric from the king's robe and then had a serious attack of conscience about showing disrespect.


I pose the question: what are our consciences like? Clear or cloudy? Do we do the right thing in the right way or do just enough to get by? Do we respect authority as Romans 13:1 tells us? Do we obey our employers and leaders as Titus 2:9 says? And if we are called to leadership, like David, do we not only model good behavior but enforce it?


Saul eventually broke down weeping when confronted by David, and confessed his evil doings. He became quite eloquent at comparing David's righteousness to his lack thereof. He even publicly acknowledged that David would one day be king. Saul asked for a covenant between them, David agreed, and the two went their separate ways. We shall see if Saul truly repented (changed his ways), or regretted (felt sorry for) his sins, as we continue with this fantastic book over the next few weeks.


Dedicating this day to the Lord was a non-negotiable, and I'm glad I "turned off and tuned in" to the voice of the Holy Spirit to complete the task He had assigned me. As God assured His people Israel, Isaiah 30:15b says,


In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.




No comments:

Post a Comment