Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Second first son




8:12 p.m. Today's project was to thank the Lord for our son Kriss who turned 29 at 11:16 a.m. today! He is the second of our sons, but the first child for my husband Steve, born one year and one month after our wedding, and just before my 31st birthday! Why we women want to make sure to state that we were not yet whatever age is just the way it is, I guess! (I made sure our wedding date came before my 30th birthday the year before. Must be truthful for the marriage license)!



Kriss has been a real pride and joy to us both, accepting the Lord at an early age, maybe four years old, growing up to become an academically gifted and musically talented student. His years in North High School marching band in the drumline, ending with him being drum captain in his senior year, were a source of enjoyment for our whole family. We went to all of the Husky home football games. As a band booster club mom, I helped serve snacks at the grueling summer band camps, and helped organize the walking, candy and scrip fundraisers. Steve and I helped the Blue Star Regiment with moving equipment onto the field, distributing uniforms, putting feathers in the hats, laundering gloves, and I regularly pinned up hair for the girls, and helped the flag team and baton twirlers into their outfits. I also accompanied the band to festivals, tournaments, and other competitions around California and out of state. Kriss' experience meant so much to me because it brought back so many great memories of my own days as a high school and college musician.



Kriss and his friends formed a Christian band called "Broken," in middle school which gained some traction locally. It was in that group that Kriss changed from drummer to lead singer, which he later pursued in the band "First Time Falling," along with an initial music major, at Long Beach State. On this note, the North High yearbook that came out in 2001, his graduation year, featured "Broken" performing in an outreach for Brothers And Sisters In Christ (BASIC), the Christian club he helped lead. The only problem for his School Board trustee mom, was that Kriss was shirtless! Of course I received my extra copy as all Board members do. When I arrived in the District office there were laughs all around. As Proverbs 15:13 says, "A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance."



Kriss had his ups and downs during college, but graduated and is now married to lovely Marisela, and very happy in Long Beach as a manager for Starbucks. He also writes songs and performs with the Christian band "Red Giant," soon to release their first CD. He does solo gigs with former FTF band member Alan on guitar with the Derekstar artist group, and manages an upcoming performer J C Villafan, in Long Beach.



I am looking forward to his and Marisela's visit on my birthday Tuesday evening, where we'll share in the surprise they say they have planned for me. I'll be at a Bible study leaders' meeting earlier, but will leave in time for my son's visit.



With the difficult Alzheimer-tinged trials Steve and I are facing daily now, from leaking outside faucets on both sides of the house, the crashing down of a section of drywall that covered the opening to the crawl space, and now my dad's serious bladder ailment, my kids are bright lights and loving supports for me. Kriss especially, with his empathy, communication skills, good sense and thoughtfulness, has been a particularly wonderful encouragement to us in this year of Steve's decline.



Mothers and sons have a special bond, I think. Jesus' mother, who "kept all these things and pondered them in her heart" (Jesus' birth and angelic celebration in Luke 2:19); told the servants at the wedding at Cana when she reported to her son that they had run out of wine, "Whatever He says to you, do it" (John 2:5) so water became wine; was the person Jesus planned care for as He hung on the cross, telling the disciple John "Behold your mother!" (John 19:27); and Mary was with the disciples and followers of Jesus in the Upper Room on the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came upon them all as tongues of fire (Acts 1:14, 2:2-4). Mary was a born again believer in Jesus Christ the Son of God--her son!



Kriss has made us laugh, made us wonder, and made us proud. But as with all of my children's lives, I truly believe the best is yet to come!




I love you, son!









No comments:

Post a Comment