Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

All together now!


8:50 p.m. Today's project was to host a Thanksgiving feast for my sister's and my family--our family. The Lord had His hand on every aspect of the week's preparation, even the three breadmaking trials!


Last night, we followed the family tradition of picking up Subway sandwiches while Heidi and Pavel's apple pie was baking. I fried up bulk sausage, chopped up and sauteed the celery and onion, mixed it with Mrs. Cubbison's herbed stuffing cubes and put the dressing in the fridge. Then Steve and I enjoyed a relaxing evening on the couch, indulging in hot apple crisp made with leftover apples from the kids' pie. A scoop of cookie dough ice cream melting over the top gave just the right touch! We then enjoyed a sweet and sentimental Hallmark movie, "Silver Bells," and each others' company.
This morning, around 4 a.m., I woke up and began praying over many things and people, but particularly that Steven had gotten home safely from Fresno. The subject of making yet another batch of whole wheat rolls came to mind, and I pondered getting up by 5 a.m for devotions first, then I'd tackle it! But I must have dozed off because my eyes popped open again at 6!
No problem. I ran downstairs, checked that yes! Steven was "breathing" soundly in our guest bedroom/office, and put on the coffee. I picked up the King Arthur wholewheat flour, checked their recipe, different yet again from the other two, and amazingly, found the nonfat dry milk it called for, left from a batch of granola I'd made this summer! Mixed it up, got it kneaded and rising, and sat down for devotions. How apropos that today's scripture for posting on my Facebook home page was from Psalm 26 on November 26th! Verses 6-8 state, "I will go about Your altar, O LORD, that I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works. LORD, I have loved the habitation of Your house, the place where Your glory dwells."
And proclaim we did! Before our prayer and meal, each person, or married couple, opened their keepsake card, and described the photo, then told what they are thankful for. Family, jobs, and healthy children were high on each person's list of thankfulness. Steve and I closed with pictures of our mothers, and that made me tear up with love and longing for our Ruby and Pearl. But the exercise was enjoyed by all of us. Pavel led us in prayer, and we loaded up our plates with yummy dishes all of the women had made. Thanksgiving dinner just keeps getting better each year!
After dinner, we enjoyed desserts, and were our usual loud, wisecracking group. I told Heidi's boyfriend, "No one has ever taken a nap after Thanksgiving dinner in this house!" Ten of us played "Scene it!" in raucous competition before the young'uns headed off to a movie--another Thanksgiving tradition that gives Steve and me time to get the china and goblets handwashed and restored to the hutch.
As we "took a load off" of our feet and enjoyed a 1957 Grace Kelly movie on Turner Classics, I reflected that all had gone beautifully, God had been honored in our home, and testimony was given to the joy of living for Christ in any and every circumstance.
Philipians 4:6 says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God that passes all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
I'm learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment