Pages

Friday, November 27, 2009

I NEVER oversleep!



5:26 p.m. Today's project was to hop out of bed by 6 a.m., have morning devotions and coffee with Steve, and head out of the house with Heidi for Victoria Gardens, our favorite "shopping experience" in Rancho Cucamonga. We like Black Friday as well as anyone, but had no urgent "big ticket" items driving us to get in line at Walmart or Kohl's by 3 a.m. We like to mosey, saunter, use our discounts, purchase specific items, and lunch at Richie's Diner. Besides that, the early birds are pulling out of their parking spots by the time we arrive!

As it happens so often in life, things did not turn out that way. We had had a wonderful Thanksgiving, complete with too many desserts and lots of fun, but it ended after 10:30, and Steve and I still had cleaning to do. When I thought I was finished, I discovered two more goblets to wash. I hit the sack around midnight, pretty exhausted. I had left my cell phone on loud, in case Steven had an accident on his way up to Fresno, which didn't happen, praise the Lord. But he did call! At 3:59 a.m., I heard a text alert, and ran into our master bath, to read this message:

C28 black friday deal on their website10buck tees u can buy me a christmas present i wear xl

Can you believe that? C28, the Christian clothing store, is owned by our family friend, Aurelio Barreto. I support their mission, and we do wear their clothes. But how was this a 4 a.m. emergency? Ugh!

So I stumbled back to bed to sleep for a couple more hours, and woke up about 7:30! OH NO! I heard some movement outside our room, Heidi getting ready. I went downstairs, and there she was dressed nicely, eating her breakfast and saying, "I would have gotten you up, but figured you were already up!" Well, I read my chapter of Ecclesiastes, posted my scripture on Facebook, drank 1/2 a cup of coffee, and ran upstairs to "freshen up," makeup, and dress up. Heidi drove as I did my daily portion of our Esther Bible study in the car.

What on earth had happened?! Had I turned off my alarm in my walking sleep state at 4 a.m.? I know I set it for 6:30! I just now went upstairs to check out the issue, and it was the old AM/PM mixup--something I usually double check.
I really think that the Lord allowed this to happen for my own good. He knew I needed the rest and saw to it that I got it after a very long day on my feet. Our heavenly Father is so good--all the time!
Keep in mind, all who serve Him, that Psalm 4:8 says, "I will both lie down in peace and sleep," and Psalm 127:2 in the New Living Translation gives comfort to us worriers, and shows what scientists now know about restoration in rest: "It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones."
God truly does give us all things richly to enjoy! How He loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment