Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Solo Road Trip


7:42 p.m. Today's project was to drive to Fresno to visit our youngest son Steven, today through Monday. The plan to drive up on Saturday instead of Friday, like everyone and their brother getting out of town, worked wonderfully. I had not one traffic jam!

I had lain awake much of last night, anxious over the "tule (sp?) fog" that Fresno is famous for, wondering whether the bad month is November; considered the scenario for my family if I never returned; congratulated myself for paying all the bills, which I would be mailing this morning on my way out; ditto, for filling up the gas tank and packing the car last night; then moved on to feeling guilty for getting away by myself; then being comforted by praise songs and prayer that finally allowed me to rest until 4 a.m. when either Heidi or Shea got up!

5:30 came soon enough, and I jumped out of bed--no great thing, because I was already awake--and began my devotions, only occasionally interrupted with "now I can put this in the car!" episodes. Then I took a few moments to harvest some fruit trees and water my flowers on Farm Town, no lie, and checked Fresno's weather prediction: all sunny, yes! and got hubby Steve up for prayer and breakfast.

Once on the road, I was greeted with beautiful blue sky, fabulous scenery through the national forest and over the Grapevine, and clear roads. Steve and I had figured out the iPOD docking station I'd bought for the trip, so I listed to hours of an audio novel, a western called Don't Go To That City:They Call it Cheyenne. When I ran out of an clear FM signal to play the iPOD on, I tuned in to KARN, 89.7, featuring contemporary Christian music.

On previous visits to Fresno, we'd seen billboards with a cartoon granny promising great food at Apple Annie's restaurant in Tulare, so today I just went for it, since it was only noon and just 47 miles to go. I'd made great time for having left at 8:35. Time for a break and a treat. I hadn't eaten much of my scrambled eggs in the morning, but wasn't starving, so I just ordered jalapeno poppers and an apple dumpling a la mode. It was a treat, all right! The poppers were hot and crisp, but I saved most of them to take to Steven, and dug into the giant dumpling. Wow--I ate all but the enclosing pie crust and was more than full. Steve and I will have to have a proper meal there next time we go up north. Delicious food, and friendly "country" atmosphere.

Fresno, here I come! Funny how I used to think that this populous university town was just a hamlet in the middle of raisin fields! Quite a bit bigger than Riverside, it's a regional capitol and county seat. Every time I visit I appreciate it more. Its proximity to Yosemite and Shaver Lake are also benefits. As for school spirit, as the Fresno State Bulldogs go, so goes the city!! Sadly, they lost in Nevada today, so folks weren't quite as peppy as usual! I know that Robert and Joe will come home late tonight disappointed.

Steven guided me to his parking spot, since all of the apartments look alike to me, and helped me unload. I travel with the same amount of food, all-occasion wardrobe, aerobed, linens, books, beauty products, devotional materials and tech gadgets that many people move in with, but why be uncomfortable or have to run out and buy things? Hmmm? It only makes sense.

The reason I wanted to visit with Steven in person, instead of the usual texting, was (other than needing facetime with my baby) there are a lot of issues we need to decide on concerning his college arrangements. We've both been fervently praying he can continue to attend his private Christian school. I have no doubt that God led him to Fresno, with two Christian roommates, and a ministry now to high schoolers at his church. Can't wait to go to both the high school and the regular service tomorrow! And I wanted to visit one of his jobs, which I did, enjoying a great prime rib dinner at Cool Hand Luke's. Maybe I'll visit Bally's gym where he's a trainer, too, before I leave. And MOnday morning will probably find me over at Fresno Pacific U.

Financing Steven's school is the only tough thing right now, but "is anything too hard for God?" I think not! The kid's a hard worker who puts Jesus first in everything. And God honors those who honor Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment