Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The source of true confidence


5:03 p.m. Today's project was to go to the Jurupa Unified School District office and pay our health insurance premium, which, though 5 days late, we were able to pay without a penalty, praise the Lord. Much as I enjoy being retired and home with Steve, I so miss those dear members of the JUSD family of employees! Steve and I visited with Lucinda, who was a close former colleague in 2003-2005 when I worked in the School Readiness program there in the D.O. I was touched to hear that the superintendent and top administrators have assigned themselves furlough days, not making the other employees feel the pain more than they are willing to. If the Lord makes it possible for me to return to employment outside the home one day, I'll make a beeline to the JUSD personnel office!


Steve and I went on from there to follow our monthly tradition of getting a nice lunch out in Mira Loma's massive shopping center. This time we chose "On the Border" Mexican restaurant, and loved it, leaving stuffed, with tonight's dinner in a big sack. We went on to pick up an iPOD station for my Jeep, some Christmas gifts for the kids, got groceries at our favorite Vons out there--the gas station was being renovated, so :( for that-- and toddled on home.


What gave us a supernatural peace this afternoon was the assurance of God's hand upon our lives, reinforced by the laying on of hands and anointing with oil that Steve and I received from our pastors this morning. Pastor John had arranged for us to come into his weekly pastoral meeting, be seated in the midst, and each pastor and elder prayed in turn. I was so blessed by the respectful acknowledgement they gave to Steve's role in the Body--the ministries he'd had and what his presence meant, and still means, at the men's events. They prayed for me as well, aware of the changed roles in our marriage, the concerns and burdens I now carry singly, but never alone, FOR GOD IS WITH ME.


The love that flowed out from those men of God was stupendous, yet characteristic in every way of our fellowship. In seven years I have yet to meet a mean or unfriendly person, and I am aware of horrifying trials and harshly unfair circumstances our members have suffered. It is no candy-coated life we believers live, but the Holy Spirit within allows us to live real life gracefully, peacefully, and lovingly through our trials, with enough overflow to help meet the needs of others. How will I keep going? GOD IS WITH ME.


Isaiah 30:15b says to His people, "In quietness and confidence shall be your strength."





No comments:

Post a Comment