Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

It's too soon for manly hugs!!


5:56 p.m. Today's project was to travel to San Diego County and pick up my two grandsons: Xavier, who turned 12 today, and Adrian, 14. Xavier had just come off a few days of illness, unnamed like so many cases this season--no one wants to declare that they have "swine flu." But with his mom's good care--she's a nurse, after all--I got the go-ahead to come pick them up! Yes!


We stopped by Kippy's vocational nursing school where she teaches, said hi, hugged and met her students. Although I was inwardly hesitant, I asked Steve to circle the parking lot in the Jeep because there were absolutely no parking spaces to be had. I felt all right about it because there were no other drivers to unnerve him.

Steve's driving was incident-free, so we switched places and got on the road by 3 p.m. That 's another blessing, I told Adrian and Xavier, because the three of us remember a certain four-hour Friday night drive from their home to Riverside, when we made the mistake of eating dinner down there before leaving! I had packed two bean and cheese burritos in an insulated bag for them, so there'd be no need to stop. What a great invention those huge silver hot/cold bags are! (And what a crafty grandma!)

As a mom, I have truly enjoyed every stage of my five kids' lives, even their teenage years, but I do confess to being in a hurry to see them move from stage to stage! My bad, but I'm a very speedy, goal-oriented person in general, always looking forward to "the next thing," as my friend Robin once described me.

As a grandma, however, I am not in such a hurry to see these boys grow up! Every time I get one of their manly "half hugs" instead of the full-body embraces of their younger years, I wince slightly, but I'm also proud they are growing up so wonderfully. Little men they are, displaying the best of our son Sean and their mom. Steve and I would love to see their parents reconcile, but we've learned to pray in faith and wait for our 30-somethings to make their own decisions. "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD," Proverbs 21:1 says, "like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." My God can do anything HE decides to do!

The most important characteristic of our boys is that they are born again, know the Lord, and also pray for their parents. Their dad joined them at Lake Perris when Adrian and Xavier chose to be baptized, and they get involved at church whenever they are here. We are blessed!

Right now they are out on a walk with Heidi and her boyfriend Pavel after a fun Chinese takeout dinner from Mr. Yu's. Then we'll all just relax and let them watch cartoons and play G-rated video games, and hope they don't find the candy I've hidden!

God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment