Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Armed and ready

6:16 p.m. Today's project was to stay home, or to at least focus on house and home! After a weekend of travel through 3 counties, I experienced violently aching shoulders and a sore upper back upon waking this morning, so I took some Advil, and vowed to stay put.

Steve woke up with a head cold, so our morning went slowly, but we spent our time with the Lord, praying and reading the Word, praising Him and preparing for my dad's visit later this morning. Daddy wanted me to look up bladder cancer on WebMD, and get some basic facts. Then he and Steve took off for a visit to Borders to enjoy finding some books and having coffee together.

An 82 year old taking a 54 year old on an outing? Not too common, is it? Quite a reversal. I am so blessed by my dad's love for Steve. They enjoy each other's company so much--Daddy never had a son! I did a little gardening, clipped coupons, and did actually go out--a mile up the road to Kmart, to put some Christmas gifts on layaway. I was fourth in line, but overheard ladies behind me saying that the line stretched to the end of the store last night!

I cannot remember the last time I used layaway, but times are tough in our home. December's deep discounts won't do any good if there's no money! On the other hand, coming up with a few dollars every other week is doable, or I pray it will be for jobless, hurting families. Most are probably still in shock, stumbling along, reaching out in the darkness for any financial relief.

As I stood in line, I reflected that I am in the same boat as the others--but not really. My husband's multiple firings were due to the ravages on his brain caused by Alzheimer's, and would have happened in a good economy or bad. And I will say that the Lord has provided resources for us to make it through. I count so much on prayer and moral support from fellow believers in Christ, not to mention Steve's brother's family going through it right now, following in the unfortunate footsteps of past generations of Kruckenbergs.

The Lord surprised me by turning my attention to the spiritual implications of Steve's mental illness with a call from Steve's older sister Sharon, which was unusual, especially since we had seen each other Saturday. When I asked what was up, she shared about a church service Sunday night where the pastor spoke of generational curses. She had been remembering tragic incidents repeatedly patterned in their family history, and was prayerfully piecing her thoughts together, and seeking agreement in prayer to begin spiritual warfare.

I found myself in the prayerful consideration stage, looking for scriptural confirmation, when the Lord brought Ephesians 6:12-13 to mind: "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you might be able to stand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."

As we talked further, the words I had written in my journal hours earlier dawned upon me ! I had asked the Lord to heal Steve of his inability to absorb His lovingkindness, and to erase the remnants of wickedness from his childhood. That was no coincidence!

Sharon and I closed in prayer, and I will be seeking the laying on of hands from our pastors for Steve. My appointment with our senior pastor will follow women's Bible study tomorrow. May the Lord lead us to the right actions to take in Steve's behalf! I am trusting that with pastoral counsel and guidance, and the pure words of scripture, that we will begin the breaking down of strongholds in Steve's life and the lives of my children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment