Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Breakfast for nine


4:45 p.m. Today's project was to meet up with eight of my sisters in Christ at Mimi's to honor our friend Pamela Judge on her birthday. She was completely surprised to see all of us and her big pile of colorfully wrapped gifts.
Most of us have gotten to know Pam after she developed cancer, and became part of a group from Calvary Chapel Moreno Valley who take her to the many appointments scheduled for her. There have been a number of destinations, but currently Pam goes daily for radiation at the beautiful Loma Linda facility.
Despite her serious condition, Pam has a wry sense of humor and catches the ironies of daily life. She is soon to be a published author of a short story and poetry collection. At first I didn't know what to expect when I got a call from church, but once we got together, we both enjoyed our visit on the drive back and forth, as well at lunch later on. The dizziness that once plagued her has finally been healed, praise God, so Pam can drive herself unless tiredness overtakes her, which I am sure is a constant battle. She has an eager and willing group of drivers who literally lined up to volunteer for Monday and Wednesday of Christmas week--unbelievable, only possible in Christ!
Pam received some very thoughtful and creative gifts: a handmade card, lap quilt, angel figurine, Thomas Kinkaide puzzle, a puzzle mat, books, Christmas CD, and colorful Christmas socks. One especially cool gift fit Pam's beach -themed apartment perfectly: a bright red beaten metal angelfish table piece. The lip balm and lip mask I gave her will help with the dryness she experiences from radiation treatments.
Our birthday girl was very overwhelmed with the love and friendship she received today, a culmination of the joy and inspiration many of us have received from her, in her battle against late stage cancer. No one knows the exact ending of her story, but I don't know the exact ending of my story either! But in Christ, may it be a story well enacted and told!
In Isaiah 46:9, 10 God says, "I am God and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me. Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.' "
Let God be God, but let us love and serve one another!


No comments:

Post a Comment