Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What to wear?



5:32 p.m. Today's project was to go to Glen Ivy Hot Springs Spa south of Corona off the 15 freeway. I had received a gift card worth $100 from Heather and her husband Nick for my birthday in August, but wanted to go over Christmas break.


Nick's mom Kathleen and his younger sister go regularly, so I thought I'd invite Kathleen to go, and Heather, too. Last night, as I looked through the brochure that came with my gift card, my eye fell upon the "What to Bring" section. Bathing suit, pool-ready shoes, towel, and terry bathrobe. Terry bath robe? They had pictures of people in the fluffy white robes like you see in those luxury catalogs that epitomize "the good life." Well, we don't even have a swimming pool, so we only put on those robes when we're in a nice hotel! I called Heather, and she didn't have one either.

What to do? I got up extra early so I could take off for Kohls by 9:00 a.m., giving me an hour before Heather and Kathleen arrived. There in the pajama section were fluffy bathrobes, the kind with the tie at the waist, midcalf length, in both of our sizes. I called Heather and told her that I had the robes, but we'd have to be the "minty-fresh" twins, due to the light mint color of our new poolwear. I hoped those would do!

In Matthew 22:1-14, Jesus tells a parable of a king who had filled his banquet hall with guests he called in from the highways and byways when his invited guests refused to come. The wedding hall was filled with guests.

"But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have a wedding garment. So he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?' And [the man] was speechless. Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
For many are called, but few are chosen."

I doubt that Glen Ivy would have thrown us out for having the wrong shade of terrycloth robe, but we wanted to dress appropriately. (And it turned out that other attendees were dressed in all kinds of cover-ups after all!)

But when it comes to the Wedding Feast of the Lamb (Revelation 19:6-9), believers in Jesus Christ will not be concerned about our garments! We, as the bride of Christ, "will be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints."

What is the righteous work required for entrance into Jesus' wedding feast in heaven? Jesus Himself answered the people who asked Him, "What shall we do that we may work the works of God?"

"This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

I have believed...have you?


1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Glen Ivy! I hope you enjoyed your day at the spa with us. We're certainly glad that you found some comfy, warm robes to lounge around in - and, just so you know, I think bright colored robes are the best! I have a teal one at home and just today I saw a guest with a beautiful royal blue robe (it even had a zipper in front, very nice). I hope you'll find the time to wear the robes often, both at Glen Ivy and even just relaxing at home - you don't need to be in a fancy hotel to feel good! We look forward to welcoming you back to the spa soon! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete