Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2009

I have no good answer for that


4:24 p.m. Today's project was to finish decorating the Christmas tree, adding the special, most elegant ornaments I always save for last. Most prominent of these is the triptych of Jesus' birth, infancy, and the visit of the kings of the east. Included in this grouping are crosstitched ornaments, adorable porcelain angels with actual feathers, Focus on the Family nativities, beautiful bird medallions, official White House ornaments from 1989 and 2008, and a swiveling carriage set in red and gold, a souvenir from the Tower of London.

Our late morning began at 9:00 a.m., the actual time I set the alarm for when I went to bed at 1:00 a.m. I'd been up washing tableware and goblets by hand after a wonderful Christmas event at church. (And also had to finish yesterday's blog and post event pictures. Silly, I know!)
I realized we were cutting it close because my Dad was due to come over about 10:00 with samples of the apple pie he had made. Imagine starting your baking career at 82! Like Grandma Moses who began painting Americana scenes in her 80's, it will be "Grandpa Gray's Pies!" Daddy did come over, and his pie was tasty, though more work needed on handling the pre-frozen crust, but I shudder to look back on my first pie crust 35 years ago! That was back in the day when one wouldn't think of buying a pie crust, so you just had to learn how to handle the lard that made crusts SO flaky-delicious! Steve and Daddy went out to inspect the winter garden, and we had a pleasant visit.
Time for the step ladder so Steve could hang some large, heavy baubles up towards the top. He had been a little disoriented this morning during devotions, and a bit off balance, even stumbling in the kitchen, so I handed him up one item at a time. We had our Christmas music going for inspiration. Mercy Me's "Christmas Sessions," was a precious reminder of the two years of Christmas programs at Ina Arbuckle when I taught my classes the rocking Christian version of "Angels We Have Heard on High," and the country-influenced "Silent Night" from that collection.
Much as I love that album, my all-time favorite is Neil Diamond's Christmas album. Running a close second are Mannheim Steamroller's two albums.
Not all was idyllic this afternoon, however. When a comment was made as to the lack of width to our tree, that it wasn't as full as another tree they'd seen, or even others we have had in the past, the best I could answer was, "at the time we reserved it, we had no idea whether your dad would have any help loading it or bringing it in." Turns out Kriss did come out and help, but at the moment when you need to make a choice, you just have to "go with what you know!"
In the past, I might have come back with some snappy rejoinder, but I just did not have a good answer for the relative narrowness of the tree, not even the excuse of money, because the trees are sold by height, not width. I accepted the offer of helping select next year's tree with a sigh, and went back to living life in today's real world.
Is it actually necessary to have an answer every time someone makes a comment that wasn't necessary, helpful, or thoughtful? It's unfortunate, but I can't always expect another person to read the "vibe" in the house before they speak...I'd rather just ascribe good will to them and go on to duties and concerns that are more pressing than engaging every comment.
There is a time when Christians are to have an answer, to engage, inspire, and challenge: that's when asked about our faith! "What keeps you going? You must be overwhelmed! How are you managing?" are questions I have the privilege of answering almost every day for fellow believers and the unsaved alike. And it is a privilege to represent my Lord in trials with faith, good outlook, and confidence, "for I know whom I have believed." (II Timothy 1:12)
In matters of testifying to the truth of the gospel, Christians are to be ready to witness at all times! I Peter 3:15 tells us, "Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is within you..."
Isn't it great to know that we do have a good answer for the most important question of life--"What must I do to be saved?"

No comments:

Post a Comment