Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Devoting ourselves




2:45 Today's project was to pick up my prescription sunglasses and shop at the nearby Vons for dinner for a disabled mom and her sons for delivery tonight. While at home, I had the privilege of praying with my prayer/accountability partner as well as finishing up laundry, making Steve's lunch and encouraging him in his many projects around the house. Our lawns look great, and our garden is flourishing! Steve exemplifies the man in Psalm 1:3 who delights in God's Word-- "He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither, and whatever he does shall prosper."

In our couples' study on Thursday nights, we are studying and seeking to actualize Acts 2:42:

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Makes me ponder periodically, what am I devoting myself to? Husband and home are my top priorities, and I have seen the Lord bless abundantly since I retired to keep Steve company. To His glory, and to our amazement, God is meeting all of our needs despite a drastic change from earning two livings to living on two fixed incomes. God alone could have made this possible!

The Lord has expanded ministries I was already leading, Heart to Home most notably, and opened opportunities to teach a brief devotional to a new group of ladies each week. God has brought me a new ministry of visiting sisters in the church who have need, currently the lady to whom we are taking a meal this evening before we go to church. And with time in my day to address the thoughts in my heart, He created "Today's Project." And what can I say about the timing of the publication of my Galatians Bible study? I would not even have thought of submitting it to Tate Publishing if I hadn't become friends with a now-published author whom I took to some medical appointments on weekdays. God moved my entire life around so I could serve my husband, making me available to go through doors He created and opened as our life at home settled in to a structure more conducive to ministry. I'll be teaching Bible study again for the summer, I Samuel, with lessons written in the 1980's and formatted for 21st century use. God and God alone receives my praise today!
Acts 2:42 gives us a clear-cut guide to living the Christian life--learning and staying immersed in the truth of God's Word, teaching and sharing sound doctrine with others, sharing food together, and praying!
Which facets of the life described above are we lacking in? Where do we meet God's standard? To what or whom are we devotng our lives?
As I Peter 3:21 mentions, let's strive to have "a good conscience toward God."




No comments:

Post a Comment