Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

This is our time




1:47 p.m. Today's project is to get my mind around writing a bio--or would that be an auto-bio?


It's required by Tate Publishing, for my Galatians study they want to start production on this July. I'm not seeing a way to worm out of this project that seems a bit dreary at best and self-serving at worst. Funny, years ago when I was asked by Assemblyman Ray Haynes for the same thing, as part of his "Woman of the Year" award, I had no problem whipping it out. Guess that's because I was still in political office, where you either promote what you've done to help the public, or find yourself un-elected!

A reminder came from my daughter Heather's blog, "Remains of the Day," because she has been asked to write her resume in order to move up to a State Senate-level aide position from the Assembly level she is in now, should her boss Bill Emmerson win his election bid in June. Not only does she wonder whether she is qualified, but whether she is following her heart, her desire to be a full-time photographer. For now, while husband Nick is finishing his masters degree, she needs a good income. That's what the decade of the twenties is for--to build up your financial base so you can start a family later! The Lord will guide her, I am confident, and He views her constituent service and community outreach events as unto Him, I assured her in my posted comment. Colossians 3:22-24 says,

Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

Looks like we both have some writing to do! May the Lord lead every word we put to paper or post.
Out of the blue, my teacher daughter Heidi and I have a new tandem assignment at church--it had to happen sooner or later, as active as we both are! Children's ministry director Ivett has asked us to form a Bible Story station-leader team for the preschool version of Vacation Bible School at the end of June! Heidi was approached originally, and then desperately asked if I would do it instead, because I not only do VBS almost every year, but I enjoy little kids tremendously (my adverb!) "and you're good with them!" My friends, while assuring me of a blessing, think I'm crazy for saying yes, with the I Samuel study beginning June 10th, but that's Thursday mornings for an entire season, and VBS only lasts 5 days. Either way, God called me to teach the Word--He never said only to adults!!
I like the way the New International Version translates Ecclesiastes 9:10: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." In other words, now is our time to serve. This is our generation of believers who live for Christ, and we have just so much time to bring others to Him in repentance and salvation, as well as performing the Body ministry of edifying and instructing others in the scriptures! Jesus said of Himself, in one of my favorite verses, "I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work." (John 9:4) And it's getting mighty dark out there!
No follower of Christ has ever regretted time in His service, whether at home, work, or in church ministry. There are definite sacrifices of money, goods, gasoline, labor and time, not to mention hours spent in prayer and study that proceed the work. I am certain that we will look back longingly at ministry responsibilities when we've been called to move on to other duties or become physically unable to participate. But we will look back with joy at having been obedient, holding back nothing from the One who gave all for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment