Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mom's better attitude this year



2:50 p.m. Today's project was to sleep until 8:00. I set my alarm no later than 8 in case I'm really tired and might end up sleeping away an entire morning! If that seems early for a Saturday, consider that I used to get up at 4:50 a.m. when I was teaching! We get up at 7:00 the rest of the week.

That was the plan, anyway. But I was wide awake at 6:00 and rolled around to the rhythmic sound of Steve's C-Pap machine for another thirty minutes before it dawned on me: why not get up early and have devotions and coffee while the house is totally still? So I went downstairs, turned on the cofffeepot, emptied the dishwasher, and got my Bible. Then came another brainstorm: why not take my Bible and coffee out to the front patio and have my quiet time under the trees, hidden from the street, but able to watch early walkers and bike riders, including a dad and his small son pedaling their way uphill to my corner. It blessed me to hear the dad egg his son on! Reminds me of our Heavenly Father, who always encourages us to "press forward" in the battles of everyday life. Though we may have physical and earthly goals set before us, the Apostle Paul challenges us and himself in Philippians 3:14: "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (KJV, the version I memorized it in as a new believer!)

My goal this year is not to be put out or perturbed if Mother's Day is not as fantastic for me as it is for my friends whose daughters are mothers themselves and have matured to an infinitely more thorough appreciation of their moms' lot in life! Last year, I heard, or read on Facebook, of the breakfasts, the barbecues at their kids' homes, all before my kids even got here from church...and because things were hush-hush, Steve and I were off-balance, not knowing whether to go out to lunch or dinner! I confess to feeling lonely, agitated and depressed, like a real dunce. Later, when Heidi and Steven came back from their mission to Redlands, and heather and Nick popped in, I enjoyed a truly authentic, handmade delicious Mexican feast, served with tons of love and affection! I am actually teary-eyed when I think of the half day I wasted feeling sorry for myself. Could that be why 2 Corinthians 10:12 says, "But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." You think???

With Steve's illness more pronounced, retirement redefining my role in our home, and Heidi's wedding plans underway, exactly what, where and how the kids commemorate Mother's Day just doesn't matter! The devil had a field day last year with my imagination and negative thoughts,but he'll have to find another target tomorrow. And if I may give a warning to anyone who might read it, let this serve: Your kids love and appreciate you! From a baby who coos when he sees you, to your school children's precious crafts and breakfast served to you in bed, to adult children blessing you within their limited means, ENJOY!!

And if you have to chip in a bit of money, or even help cook, so be it!! (Don't you do that 364 other days a year, anyway??) Just revel in their presence with you, or their phone call from far away, or the time they now need to split between their mother-in-law and yourself. Set the emotional stage with humor and acceptance, being the loving and lovable mom they came to see.
And, like any other day, I'm going to finish cleaning the house!









2 comments:

  1. Dana, What an inspiring post. I love reading your blog, and visit here often. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete