Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Knit together


3:44 p.m. Today's project was to formulate a "plan for peace" in my heart and life, and it began with asking others to pray for a very difficult week. There's a lot of stress leading up to any competitive event, and our son's preparation time for the California Pro Figure bodybuilding event in Culver City is no exception! His dieting demeanor reminds me of a bride's weight loss imperative--and you know the term for those brides: Bridezillas!


I received a request for prayer needs from our pastor's wife Robin, who is experiencing a time of attack from the enemy leading up to the Ladies' Retreat, like all of us leaders are. Didn't have to ask me twice!! And from there, I emailed my younger daughter Heather for prayer, along with the good news of her Assemblyman boss' likely victory in his June 8 quest for a State Senate seat. The opposition party isn't even funding or supporting the candidate against Bill Emmerson!
One ministry we all can participate in is that of praying for and encouraging one another. We encourage one another with sincere compliments; thoughtful suggestions; inclusive invitations to events and meals; impromptu visits and phone calls; passing on good coupon deals; promoting another believer's business, or publicly celebrating their good news; even asking another believer for help, like I did today. I am so hopeful that a talented lady I know will be available to create a boat for my pre-school VBS Bible Center classroom! Romans 12:6 says, "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given us, let us use them..." And let us encourage all to do so!!
The picture above shows Steve and me finding a way to keep our hands warm on our walk last night, covering them together in one knit sleeve! We're "knit together," you might say. [Good concept for Dee's crochet class!] The first scripture I recalled with this phrase was Colossians 2:2, "that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love." But there are personal references to this concept that are very dynamic in the Old Testament, as well. Judges 20:11 describes the men of the 11 tribes of Israel who set out to bring justice against the Benjamites, as being "knit together as one man." When David met with representatives of the tribes of Benjamin and Judah at his stronghold during the long war between himself and King Saul, he said, "If you have come peaceably to me to help me, my heart shall be knit with you; but if to betray me to my enemies, since there is no wrong in my hands, may the God of our fathers look and bring judgment."(I Chronicles 12:17, KJV)
But the most touching example is the beyond-the-grave friendship of Jonathan and David (which we'll be covering starting June 10th at my home Bible study on I Samuel that I'll be teaching!) I Samuel 18:1 says, "the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul."
Can we say that we love our fellow believers, family and friends "as our own souls?" That's agape, the self-sacrificial other-centered love that Jesus exemplified!
What are the results of being "knit together?" Colossians 2:19 "ties it off!" The passage warns against those who do not "hold fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God."
I like being knit together with you, brother or sister in Christ!!

1 comment: