Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An open day


3:39 p.m. Today's project was to enjoy an open day with Steve, no appointments, urgent chores, or even ministry/writing assignments. Well, that's not precisely true, because I still owe my publisher an autobiography for Galatians! But, since she hasn't re-sent her email, it doesn't appear to be time-stamped!
Now please understand that a "free" day for me doesn't mean sitting out at my front patio reading and watching the world go by (way too fast, see post from 4/25/10). Nope, it meant I finally had some time to go over to Ralphs with my $16.00 cash reward, 30 coupons, and do some serious first of the month shopping. Now that Steve and I are pensioners, I seriously clip coupons, work my combo deals, and buy only items I have coupons for while we have finances in the bank. I was in the store for an hour and a half, grateful and praying my way up and down the aisles! Not one to be easily-or ever- embarassed, I think I picked up and put down the same blocks of medium cheddar cheese 3 times! Is there a better deal? I even made sure that the produce manager would back me up on the fancy cantaloupe I selected as being the "Dulcinea" brand I had a coupon for! I've already half -jokingly promised him some organic heirloom tomatoes for this summer...
The savings were so great that I was able to get a boxful of goodies (Lucky Charms and Pop-tarts) and staples (tuna, pasta, t.p.) for my son who's going through a tight stretch right now. The funny thing was that he and his wife were texting me separately as I went along--she to thank me for praying, because she has a job interview tomorrow, and he to confirm that they will be bringing their cocker puppy Penny Lane Kruckenberg to get a Pedi-Paws pedicure on Mother's Day. I'll add in some asceptically packaged rice or soymilk, and their surprise box will be complete! Jesus Himself said, quoted in Acts 20:35, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." And it is! I wonder if most people even know that they are quoting our Lord when they use that aphorism? Very doubtful.
I do actually expect to receive something or other, even if it's cards, and be invited to or served a meal on Mother's Day, but just knowing that the kids, spouses and Heidi's Pavel will be here is enough, as it would be for any other mom I can think of. Psalm 127:3 is so beloved for this reason: "Children are a heritage of the LORD; and the fruit of the womb is His reward." With five children, their spouses, my two grandsons, and the extended family they have brought us, Steve and I have definitely been rewarded.
And I am humbled and delighted beyond measure to see them vigorously defend the faith "that God has entrusted once for all time to His holy people." (Jude 3, NLT) I can step aside at times during their debates, because this is THEIR generation, the baton will soon be passed, and they must be ready. My Christian peers and I have indeed passed down a godly heritage! I guess that's why dozens of my favorite Facebook friends are 25 to 30 years my junior. I love to walk alongside them, and they with me. We have one common ground: Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Jesus makes us each "a friend that sticks closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24)
Yesterday's deadlines were met, tomorrow will bring about appointments and an observance of the National Day of Prayer at our church in the evening. But for today, I am actively at rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment