Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hitherto and Henceforth


3:04 p.m. Today's project was to finish writing the Bible study for Thursday so I would have Wednesday free to go candle shopping with my daughter Heidi at Shinoda's Design Warehouse in Santa Ana. She is getting an early start for her June 2011 wedding reception decorations, since she has the summer off from teaching.

I had laid my groundwork by reading all of my commentaries and gleaning historical background information from Unger's Bible Dictionary and Manners and Customs of the Bible. Since Steve and I had been out late at Disneyland last night to watch the new "World of Color" display, I even set my alarm 45 minutes later, so I would be mentally alert when I sat down to work. ( I should say, "sat down to a time of enjoyment." )
In Chapter 7 of I Samuel, God granted a major victory to the Israelites by frightening and confusing the Philistines with a loud thunder. God intervened, however, because His people had finally made a solemn commitment to throw away their idols and serve the Lord God alone. As I looked into the "Ebenezer stone" that the prophet Samuel used to set up a sacrifice after the Israelites' rout of the Philistines (v. 12), I saw two meanings, "God has helped us hitherto," and "God will help us henceforth."
In other words, we offer praise for what He has done, and praise for assurance of what He will do!
Another task I had today was to sort through my hand-typed studies of II Samuel, because a dear sister Kathy, a retired secretary, has volunteered to type and edit the 24 lessons and reformat them in Microsoft Word!! She has joined our Thursday morning study recently, I believe, "for such a time as this," as Mordecai exhorts the queen in Esther 4:14! We are currently enjoying written homework on I Samuel each week, along with the Bible study, and she just spoke up and offered her services!
Naturally, sorting and ordering the lessons written in 1986 or 1987 took me down memory lane; I even found a slip of paper with the names and phone numbers of my core Bible study members!! One still has the same number--our children have gone all through school together. When I looked through my introductory remarks for one lesson, for example, I read how convicted I was of covetousness, holding on to adorable dresses outgrown by my tiny daughter Heidi (pictured above recently with her fiance) when the Lord had told me to give them away! The Lord faithfully caused me to be a woman of my word, in obedience to the voice of His Holy Spirit.
Just as He convicted me then, God convicts me now--hopefully, not as often, or at least not for the same kinds of things! (I do pray that I have experienced spiritual growth over the decades!!) He has been faithful hitherto --up to this point--and will not fail me henceforth--in the future!! God will not fail you, either!!
We can assert with David in Psalm 23:1, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

No comments:

Post a Comment