Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wake up call

3:01 p.m. Today's project was to wake up by 6 a.m., in time for Steve and me to have our devotions and breakfast, so we could welcome Heidi's future father-in-law Constantine by 8 o'clock. He was hired to build a section of cedar fencing to replace the rickety boards that blew down in May.

Sounds simple enough, especially with our new evening exercise program that leaves us ready for bed by 10 p.m. or so. All was well, and my dreams were nice and funny, even, when my cellphone rang. Stumbling out of bed, and removing my earplugs, I made it into the bathroom and grabbed my phone out of my purse. Missed the call, but I checked the time, 3:12 a.m. The name that flashed up meant trouble, so I called right back.
It was the same friend I had spoken with for over an hour earlier in the evening, describing a bad situation and asking if I could come over. I muttered a question or two, buying time to clear my head, and said, "Yes, give me 15-20 minutes." I put on my glasses for clearer vision, and so my contact lenses wouldn't be in so long the following day, and headed out. Not much traffic on the road, and I was grateful for the clear night.
When I arrived, the police were there, the troubled one was in the squad car, and my friend and I got the chance to talk. Perhaps now their loved one would get some help! We talked and prayed, and I was back home in an hour or so. I'm grateful the Lord made my 1/16th of a tank of gas last, because when the Lord calls, in the person of a hurting friend, you go!
Jesus answered in Matthew 25:40, in response to the question posed in verse 39 "When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?" by saying, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to me."
On arriving home, I reset my alarm to an hour later, and saved time by sleeping in my clothes for the next three hours. Our builder and his daughter arrived on time, did a beautiful job, and I was able to nap for a while before canning pickles and tomato sauce. We had a nice lunch together before they left. My main concern has been for alertness this evening behind the wheel on the way to church for tonight's Heart to Home class, and that I will be able to offer a brief devotional message and participate in Rosie's Mexican Cooking class.
A few text message updates came to me, and the system will have to take its course with their loved one. I may be tired, but have no regrets for being found faithful. (I Cor. 4:2)
I'll trust the Lord for all the energy I need and a good night's sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment