Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The scenic route


4:41 p.m. Today's project was to get my ingredients together for a new barbeque bean casserole I'm going to take to our friends Bob and Debbie's house on Monday for a holiday get-together. We're going to meet at their house at noon, go see a $2 movie, and then have an early dinner. Just like us, their grown kids are all doing their own thing, so we "almost empty nesters" might as well amuse ourselves. Besides, Bob has really come alongside Steve in his need for a patient, yet outgoing, friend who can give him time to espress himself, but keep up a good uplifting patter. Bob does exemplify Galatians 6:10, "Therefore as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially those who are of the household of faith."

The day started early, with my alarm going off at 6:30. Steve was right yesterday--it is very loud! Once that radio starts there's no going back, because you're UP! The early wake-up call was to get ready to meet up with my buds for our every-6-weeks-or-so breakfast at Mimi's, 8:30 sharp.

The other night, I had Steve load up my Mary Kay inventory cart and a few baskets of new items. After my devotions and just one mug of coffee, I woke Steve up, got myself made up(using the new Cooling Bronzing stick), dressed in colors coordinated with my eye makeup, and set out for the Day Street destination.

There were five of us, including the 30 year-old daughter of one of the gals, newly returned to California from North Carolina. Leecy knew our son Kriss from the Blue Star Regiment marching band at North High school during his freshman and sophomore years. She says she already misses the friendliness of the people and the intense greenery of North Carolina! We'll see how long she lasts out here where the landscape is already turning brown and the neighbors don't necessarily bring you a pie when you move in...Yvonne liked the bronzer, but had just run out of her regular MK moisturizer, so that sale paid for half a tank of gas later down the road!

From Mimi's it was a short hop to Smart and Final, for Hebrew National kosher beef extra-long hot dogs, buns, cilantro, lettuce, and frozen burgers for hosting my dad and grandsons for a Fourth of July lunch. While Heidi and Pavel took Adrian and Xavier to Forest Falls for the afternoon, Steve and I delivered lemons from our tree to Heather and Nick She needs to make strawberry lemonade for her Relational Tithe group. We don't see them very often, even though they're in Riverside too, near the Casa Blanca neighborhood.

On the way home, we drove along Victoria Avenue, and I impulsively turned right to Appian way, so we could cruise around the most gorgeous neighborhood in Riverside. Lots of memories came back to me of Junior League colleagues whose homes were open for committee meetings, many of which I chaired before becoming a sustaining member. I wonder how, in this economy, the business owners and contractors are faring. Life is different now--who knows who is living in their mansions today? As Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 9:11, "...time and chance happen to them all." At any rate, the ride was soothing and relaxing. Hawarden Drive comes out onto Arlington, Arlington goes to Alessandro, then Alessandro leads up to our street.
Right now our grandsons are helping Heidi and Pavel make calzones for dinner, so I'll offer any assistance needed. Or maybe I'll just watch "How do they do it?" on the Science Channel with Steve!


No comments:

Post a Comment