Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Act I



5:51 p.m. Today's project just came to an end, as nurse Penny Brown left our home. She was sent by our long term care insurance company, Genworth, to interview Steve and me concerning the eventual hiring of help in supervising and assisting Steve as his Alzheimer's progresses.

About 10 years ago, Steve and I decided to purchase long term care insurance because of the prevalence of early-onset Alzheimer's in the Kruckenberg family. I have a policy also, because anyone can have a heart attack or a stroke, or even a long rehabiliatation from an accident. Proverbs 27:12 says, "A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself; but the simple pass on and are punished." Not sure we are "hiding" from the future evil of Steve's disability, but we are wisely making preparation!

Our daughter Heather, pictured above on her way to church, came over at my invitation when her work day was over; Heidi was in on the discussion for a few minutes as well. The nurse interviewed me for facts and details, and then asked Steve a series of mental acuity questions. She also had him try to write something. While Nurse Penny tested Steve on his skills, I asked for prayer on Facebook, especially from one of my nieces on Steve's side of the family. We then talked with Penny about other daily living skill issues and whether or not we needed any other assistance at this time, like meals or medical equipment. (Which we don't)

I had interviewed an eldercare company, Bright Star, and really like them, but I don't see having someone here with Steve when I'm out until perhaps the beginning of 2011. And we will probably need to have assistance for Steve at Heidi's wedding next June, so to have him be accustomed to a helper before that will be most beneficial. And prayerfully, we'll have a Christian gentleman! It's just good to prepare and make arrangements for payment through our policy, so I opened a claim with Genworth a few weeks ago to set the official wheels in motion.
One thing I am grateful for is the kids we have who live in Riverside and Moreno Valley: Heidi, Heather and Sean. Steve and I have generated our own support system! Reminds me of the way things were done in olden days, the way families had tons of children so there'd be plenty of help on the farm. Any of our five will make themselves available if I call them, but it's good to have three nearby, three out of five responsible adults who love their parents and can handle trying situations calmly. Proverbs 23:24 says, "The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, and he who begets a wise child will delight in him."
Steve can be proud of the way his children have grown up, and can be counted on, along with their spouses and fiance(e)s. Of course, the youngest son Steven is away in Fresno, but he is a pro at CPR and emergencies as a physical therapy student and fitness trainer. So he's the man--when he's here! Our son Kriss in Long Beach always takes time for conversation with his dad, mostly by phone, but despite the distance, he's very close to both of us, as is his wife Marisela.
and my dad is always ready to come over and spend time with Steve, encouraging and keeping him company.
This evening, our nephew Chad encouraged me on Facebook, saying, "It's a long road that I am witnessing at home." (With his stepdad Larry, Steve's 57 year old brother, now placed in institutional care with Alzheimers) "Just enjoy his company and have lots of support."
That's our daily life--active, enjoyable, and productive, blessed by the Lord with prayer and practical support from so many! Thank you, Jesus!
As the months go forward, I do not know what will be required of me, but since God doesn't give us more than we can handle, I know I'll be ready, whether I think so or not.
Let's leave that up to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment