Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Restoration; no time to waste!


3:56 p.m. Today's project is to plan a talk with my 83 year-old dad about his eternal destiny. Our pastor's text for today was Jude 22-23, concerning restoring a fellow believer to spiritual soundness, taking their particular need, personality and experiences into consideration: "On some have compassion, making a distinction, but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh."
A couple of weeks ago, while finishing the conceptual edits on Walk through the Word Series: Galatians, I read and pondered the same idea from the Apostle Paul in Galatians 6:1-2:
Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
The problem that presents itself is that my father accepted the Lord, but rarely attended church. He spent many years listening to Billy Graham and subscribing to their magazine, and we talked very frequently about the Lord. Daddy has certainly seen Steve, the kids and me go through 29 years of trials and victories, and has been as involved as any grandfather could be. He was willing to come over had Steve and I been able to gather a group for the Truth Project, Focus on the Family's incredible series on the truths of God's Word. Last summer, in preparation for facilitating the evening session of our women's Bible study, I had borrowed Anne Graham Lotz' video to make notes. Her presentation about heaven and hell were so dramatic and compelling that I had to invite my dad over to watch it, and he loved it.
Since Daddy enjoys the independent, solitary lifestyle of sitting at home reading, watching tv, and listening to news radio, I told him about A.M. 740, KBRT, that has Bible studies from traditional speakers that he would enjoy all day long, but I don't think he tried it out.
I feel like I really let things go, spiritually speaking, and now the matter has become urgent.
When Daddy began to mention the last days, and then handed me some Watchtower literature, I turned it down, asked whether he had been visited by Jehovah's Witnesses, and he said yes. I cleared up some issues about the last days, and mentioned that they were cult members, and then it was time for him to return home.
Now I think the JW's come over every Saturday, wickedly spreading lies to a single senior citizen, endangering his belief in Christ. I have been keeping this matter in prayer, and have been "always ready to give an answer" whenever Daddy mentions that we want to be one of the 144,000 in Revelation. "No, Daddy," I told him. "Those are 12,000 Jews from each of the 12 tribes, who get saved during the Great Tribulation." He didn't have an answer, hopefully because he was thinking it over, not because I was offensive or disrespectful!
He is coming over next Tuesday to work with Steve on his car's tail light. Originally, that was good timing, as I attend morning Bible Study on Tuesdays. But AMAZINGLY, there's no study this Tuesday! Our pastor's wife will be attending a conference so it's cancelled! God's perfect timing once again!
Of course, now I'm a tad nervous about approaching Daddy, but as I told my daughter, "I'm not going to let my dad go to hell without a fight!" Perhaps I'll begin by offering a devotional by Chuck Swindoll, a member of his generation who unceasingly presents the life of born again believers that focuses on Jesus Himself. Or I will wait on the Lord for the scriptures He would have me share.
However the Lord wants me to address my dad, I know one thing: there's no time to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment